Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tossing about an idea about a family tree quilt- opinions welcome

Hi Friends,

Opening up a thread for ideas and inspiration. (Please forgive any typo's as it is just gone 7am and this thought hit me just as my head hit the pillow last night)

I'm posting here, as I feel this board has a wealth of experience and knowledge and most importantly enthusiasm and support.

My 86 year old dad will be the centre of a family lunch next Saturday week. This will be a chance for me to meet my great nieces and nephews I've not yet met. My brother and his children and their young families will be there, as well as my Sister and my neice and family, not sure if one other nephew will be there...might be a surprise. I'll be there with my son.
    My idea is to gather outlines of hand-prints and signatures on each individual present. Those nephews, their families and my son and his wife, I can ask them to send them down.
    I could then applique each hand print as a leaf on a tree - colour shading dependent on which branch these families come from.
    I could represent my mother as a butterfly near Dad's hand... the centre of the tree trunk.

I think I've seen similar done... am I making sense?
    I could then make this up to give dad a quilt for Christmas.

Solid colours for the direct blood line individuals (me and my 2 siblings, and our respective children)
    Pattern/blends for the spouses/partners
    Adult children have geometric (male), floral (female) - also keeping in mind the direct descendant should have a more prominent colour.
    Infants have children fabrics.

Is this making sense?? Has anybody done similar?

Thanks in advance.... gotta run to work now...

bronny

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tossing about an idea about a family tree quilt- opinions welcome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	107 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	132604. My sister made something similar for my son and his wife as a baby shower gift. All the family members sent her their hand prints, and then she used fabric specific to each person. There are all types of fabrics, travel, soccer, tennis, even Mickey Mouse to represent my mother who was born the same year as Mickey. It's fun to pick out which hand is whose. It was a great idea. I could see how it would be a good family tree quilt with names.
    Debby

3. Thanks giig21, LizTheScot thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have nothing to offer. But it does sound heavenly and would make a wonderful gift.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have anything to offer either, but I think it's a terrific idea.
    Cindy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't done anything like this but it sounds like it would be a great gift.
    Joan

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Debby for your pic.. I know I'd seen something similar.
    I mentioned this to my brother's partner and she thinks this would be wonderful. So i'll have support from that end of the family

Now to put a bag together so I can remember to take it with me. Going to test whether pencils or felt tip textas will be the best to use.

Thanks heaps all!
    bronny

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds fantastic. And with most everyone gathering this weekend, it would be perfect to get the handprints then. Plus they will all be eager to see your finished quilt at Christmas! Heck I'm anxious to see it! LOL

You could even vary it with open hands and closed hands. It could be just for a variety in the hands or to show direct line vs indirect, or the spouses of the descendants.

9. Thanks bronnyb thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like it will make a beautiful treasure for your father.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea! Here's a link to variations of family tree quilts that might help.

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/family-tree-quilt/
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea! Love the leaf ones on Pinterest!