Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default The quilt served it purpose

In 2004 I made a quilt for my dear friend Marilyn. She's my sister's MIL. She had the best back porch! So, I made her a quilt with pictures of her grandkids on the porch. I named the quilt "Marilyn's Back Porch". It turned out great. She passed away last year. The quilt is no where to be found. One of her sons (not my BIL, but my BIL's brother) threw away so much (he turned out not to be the honorable man we thought he was). He and his girlfriend threw away so many pictures and mementos. It just pains me to think that this quilt was just tossed.

My sister asked me about it today. She (and I) are angry and what probably happened. And then it came to me. I told her "the quilt served its purpose". It was made for Marilyn and her enjoyment. It did that. It made me so happy to make it for her and it gave her so much pleasure. So however much it pains me to think about where it is now, it served it's purpose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grandma's Porch 11.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	132573
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

2. Thanks SisterDi, giig21, songbird857 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The quilt served it purpose

I am sorry to hear this, after all your hard work. Some people are so careless and thoughtless. You do have a wonderful attitude. It is not easy but sometimes you just have to let it go.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Some people just don't realize how precious some thing are to others.My Girlfriend's mother died recently and her DD gave her Mother's sterling silver to a cousin to donate to charity,there were def. hurt feelings there.Your attitude toward this sounds like the right one to have now.
    Joan

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

MM's grandma made quilts for all her grandchildren. We were lucky enough to get a couple. When his mom died, she had enough of them that each great grandchild got one. They are very treasured.

One of his cousins had lent hers to her sister, who has since died, several years ago and never got it back. Turns out the sister gave it to the Goodwill. Fast forward several years and the surviving sister was driving to visit a friend when she saw a garage sale and something told her to pull over and look. There was her quilt amongst the items they were selling! She started crying and told them the story and they told her she could have it, but she insisted on paying the $3 they were asking for it. Now that quilt is right back where it belongs!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

6. Thanks SisterDi, PrettyCurious, songbird857, snippet, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

You never know, the quilt may have meant something to those who were getting rid of things, because it meant a lot to their Mom. Someone may have it hidden away at their home. If it were me I'd rather think that, than it went to Goodwill. We have just gone through something very similar here and I can totally understand your feelings. It may not even be the lose of the "stuff", as my husband calls it, but the disrespect and thoughtlessness for other peoples feelings and love for the deceased person. You are right to try to be the bigger person and I'm sure the quilt did more than serve it's purpose, I'm sure it was well loved.
    Kathy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry this previous quilt has "disappeared"... However, it is good that you have found Oeace, in knowing that it did, indeed, fulfill its purpose.... Isn't that what we hope fir all of our quilts?

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

9. Thanks PrettyCurious thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good attitude to have. Once a gift is given, it is no longer ours to own.

11. Thanks songbird857 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's a long shot, but I asked my sister to look at Goodwill or other charity stores it may have gone to. Wouldn't that be another happy ending. Thanks for your comments. I know you all understand how attached we get to quilts and things.
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, what a great story Pat!

But on the other hand, most don't wind up back with a loved one. CraftHer's thinking is smart. Are you a KonMari person? She's the Japanese lady who has a following on her method for keeping a tidy house. She says that you need to thank the items for serving their purpose and let them go. It's strange to think at first but afterwards, it's very freeing and liberating.

14. Thanks songbird857 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful comments on this thread. I have been in thrift stores where you think some quilter has died and her family has donated everything to the store. So I have been able to purchase quite a lot of fabrics. One day I was looking in the book section and almost every quilting book I picked up had the same woman's address label on the inside cover. I once found a Hawaiian quilt that was folded inside out so no one knew what is was. I opened it up and bought is for $12. Maybe someone saw your quilt and went home with it.
    I live in a senior housing complex with 150 units. I am always walking my dog around the property and notice special things in the dumpster (yes I am a dumpster diver). You would not believe what relatives throw out when someone dies. Perfectly good items that someone could furnish their kitchen with. Also clothes, knick nacks, picture frames, craft items, yarn, Tupperware, pot and pans, glassware, cookware, canned goods, etc etc etc. They just sweep it all into black trash bags and toss it into the dumpster. Well I always try to rescue what I can, ask my neighbors if they want it, or take it to the good will store. Better than in a landfill.
    On the good side some relatives open up the unit and let the neighbors come and take what they want, or buy it for a nominal price.
    Have good thoughts about your quilt I am sure it has found a new home. Have a wonderful week and tell someone that you love them, it will make them feel good.