Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Prewashing pre cut strips

Never wash precuts. As for the washing vs not washing fabric debate, I recently, for the first time ever had a red fabric run into a light blue fabric when I washed the quilt before sending to the recipient, and, all of the fabrics in the quilt including that red had been prewashed.

2. Thanks TLH thanked for this post
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

I don't wash pre-cuts OR quilt kits. I learned the hard way by doing this and ending up with a mess from the washing machine and not enough fabric for the quilt due to whatever shrinkage there was and having to trim off so much that had unraveled. I do, however, prewash all yardage I come home with and I buy extra if I'm buying for a specific pattern. I do this because I have allergies and asthma and am sensitive to the chemical smell, slight as it may be, from new fabric. This chemical smell, for me, would be overwhelming if I had an entire room full of unwashed fabric.

4. Thanks TLH thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I orewash nothing.... Haven't for a long time, now, and have never had a problem... I fo wash my quilts before gifting them,, however, and always throw a couple if Coloe Catchers in the washer....

When I first started quilting...in 2001---I pre washed everything... I bought lots of fat quartered, and vividly remember the mess it always was to wash them... All that trimming of raveled ends...

One day...don't remember when,,, I decided I was wasting lots of time and energy, and simply stopped... Nothing happened...scoot I got to wotk with nice, crisp new fabrics....

I really thunk thst today's fabrics shrunk very little...I wash my quilts in cold water...and the dyes are rarely a problem.

I do thunk it's smart to test any questionable fabric...such as a bright red,,,but honestly,haven't had a problem with any fabri..regardless of the color... I usually forget my own advice...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

6. Thanks Dalronix, TLH thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I never prewash...I never even thought of prewashing until I came on the forum. Call me a lazy sewer but one of the things I like about sewing is the new, crisp ironed fabric. Same with clothing I buy at the store. I really like the feeling of the new unwashed material.

8. Thanks TLH thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody wahes precuts!!! So dont do it!

10. Thanks TLH thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyknot View Post
    I haven't prewashed ANY fabric in the past 20 years or so. With most decent quality fabrics, there is no need. Why wash out the sizing, then have to starch to use it? Really sad waste of time and energy with the modern fabrics.
    x2
    I've never had to prewash.

Sheep Farmer by day........Quilter-in-Training by night
    The Farmmyfarm

12. Thanks TLH, shirleyknot thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I pre-wash is flannel and from what I have read hear it is possible I am wasting my time doing that. I have done a couple of quilts for older friends and used flannel for the backing. I didn't measure prior to washing so I don't know how much if any shrinkage there was. I also had bought inexpensive flannel at JoAnns as that was all that I could find that matched like I wanted. I ironed the flannel, so it is extra steps I would just as soon avoid.