Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help...its a color question

Jenny's new starburst pattern tutorial looks easy enough. She did it in black and white. Awesome. However, for the Shriners Childrens Hospital raffle, I have connecting threads candy colors that were donated to me and I was thinking...what if I used these in this pattern. It looks like it would go together easy but would all that color lose the star? If I made sure that the like colors radiated out .. would it work. Perhaps one of you has a computer program that you know of that I might be able to learn to manipulate the colors. I am not very tech savvy.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help...its a color question

Terry, is your CT a layer cake? You could try it out with the same colors at the same location. Like start with the yellows near the center, then orange for the next level, then red, etc. I think you could do it if you keep colors matching at that level. Hope that made sense.
    Cindy

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

good idea seaturtle....I would like to use bright batiks.......
    All you need is Love

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Seaturtle said exactly what I was thinking.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought for you gramma terry. Why not print out the PDF and color it with the fabric colors you want to use. Might help you make a decision before cutting.

6. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how to make the PDF.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Under the tutorial on YouTube is a link for supplies
    Get supplies by clicking the link below: https://www.missouriquiltco.com/land/...
    When you click on that it takes you to the M* tutorial page that has a link for the PDF design of the Starburst. Here's the link to the M8 page
    https://www.missouriquiltco.com/land..._campaign=t126

Let me know if that doesn't work.
    Cindy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The first link doesn't work - click the second one. The 1st just shows you what the link looks like on the YouTube page.
    Cindy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    I don't know how to make the PDF.
    Here's the link for you with the pdf. You will need to print this using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. If you don't have it on your computer, it's free on the Adobe website. Very, very easy to use. Basically you save the pdf files from your screen and then open them in Adobe Acrobat Reader and print. M* always makes these now and I really appreciate it if it's a quilt I'm planning to make. I've been printing these out and putting them in a project box with the precuts I'm using because I tend to forget what I bought a particular item for!

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/land...starburst2.pdf
    Last edited by Midge; June 17th, 2016 at 11:53 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    Jenny's new starburst pattern tutorial looks easy enough. She did it in black and white. Awesome. However, for the Shriners Childrens Hospital raffle, I have connecting threads candy colors that were donated to me and I was thinking...what if I used these in this pattern. It looks like it would go together easy but would all that color lose the star?
    No, it will not lose the star. There are examples of colored starbursts on Pinterest -- check it out.

I will say -- having just completed one with grey/white HSTs and black/white HSTS in the same starburst (note: the blacks were the same, but had different tone on tone designs in them and the same for the greys:

1) you may want to arrange your starburst so the colors are "exploding" from light (middle of the starburst) to dark (outer areas of the starburst) so that it looks like it is progressing outwards or "exploding".

2) realize that the different tone on tone designs in each of the black and grey fabrics made it look like the grey fabric was different shades -- they were not, they were the SAME shade, but it looked slightly different depending on the imprint design on the fabric. This difference was most easy to see when I took a picture of the starburst layout and then uploaded it to my computer to look at it; it was harder to notice when looking directly at the starburst when laid out in front of me on a table. Maybe those red glasses would help "see" these shade differences?
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b