Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Great unless you are male.

Hope you feel more welcome now Peter, both to the forum and to the retreats. Any forum is richer for diverse voices and aesthetics.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Great unless you are male.

Just thanks to everyone who has welcomed me and helped by giving info on retreats and male participants. It was a BIG misunderstanding - I chatted with a rep and communication/information was not correct. I am soooo glad, as I am sure you all are, to have MSQC. I am also thankful for the community that reaches out.
    Keep sewing! Apparently - the title of my post could be changed to "Great for females and males!"
    Again - thank you all.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Hi. Thank you for the welcome. I got into quilting.....well...in October last year it was my birthday. I decided I would just get a sewing machine and see what it is like to sew - I would have wanted to do that when I was a child but being a male - and from the family I was from, it really wasn't something I could even say. So, I decided - no bucket list - just do it. I got the machine and looked online for instructions. I found Jenny. That, as they say, was that! ALL I do now at home is either sew or cut and/or watch tutorials. It is GREAT. I'm making a lot of bags for the various women in my life and it is awesome. To say I love it is so weak. Anyway, that is how I got here - basically. Thanks for asking. You?

4. Thanks stationarymom thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much. Yes I do feel soooooo welcomed. I am excited for the day when I make the journey to HAMILTON MO. Thank you for your good wishes.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

What a kind message, Bee. I also LOVE your name and what a nice signature. I'm grateful for all the kindness that has been shown me.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Hi. Thank you for the welcome. I got into quilting.....well...in October last year it was my birthday. I decided I would just get a sewing machine and see what it is like to sew - I would have wanted to do that when I was a child but being a male - and from the family I was from, it really wasn't something I could even say. So, I decided - no bucket list - just do it. I got the machine and looked online for instructions. I found Jenny. That, as they say, was that! ALL I do now at home is either sew or cut and/or watch tutorials. It is GREAT. I'm making a lot of bags for the various women in my life and it is awesome. To say I love it is so weak. Anyway, that is how I got here - basically. Thanks for asking. You?
    Hi Peter. I have been sewing since the age of 8-9. Mostly clothing, up until a few years ago, when my son handed me a stack of t-shirts and asked me to make something with them. The logical thing was a quilt. I was able to do the top no problem, but then had to go to a class at a LQS to learn how to quilt. For some reason I thought you could wait until the last minute to sign up for a class at the Houston Quilt Festival. NOT! Those classes fill up fast. Well, was probably a year later when I found Jenny and this forum, and the rest has been history. Glad to have you here.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got it worked out. I am sorry to hear your family was not supportive of you wanting to try to sew. My oldest son sewed with my mother and it never occurred to me it may not be a good thing. I was a little shocked though at her trusting a 6-7 year old with her nice sewing machine! He lost interest in it later but at least he got to try it and has that memory with his grandmother. I am glad you are enjoying it now! Hope you have a good time at the retreat.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My boys didn't want to sew, but I taught them both to knit, which they still enjoy. Now I help my granddaughter learn to quilt.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

My FIL , who has passed, sewed upholstery and loved to crochet, saying it relaxed him. I would guess he would have loved quilting if he were alive today. My nephew wanted my mother to teach him to crochet when he was 7 and no one thought this was weird! I'm so sorry your family was closed minded to this but I am so glad their thoughts didn't keep you from trying as an adult!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My oldest son (now 49) took Home Economics in high school. One of the sewing projects he made was a long sleeved western style shirt. He did a great job & was done before even some of the girls. With time on his hands, he made a twin size quilt. Both of my sons learned to cook. It's a good thing, because my younger son (47) is single & lives alone. They're both good cooks.

We always welcome male quilters on this Forum. I hope you get to attend a retreat at M* one of these days. Post pics of your projects.