Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default WIP - 5/31/16 - Last Day in May

I hope everyone who celebrated Memorial Day had a nice time with family and friends, while honoring those who sacrificed their lives for our freedoms.

As June starts tomorrow, my thoughts are turning toward that list of Christmas gifts I want to make. My quilting progress has been pretty slow this year, so I think I had better get started on those gifts if I expect to have anything made in time for the holiday. I won't get as much done this week as I had hoped, as some 'life stuff' has to be handled. Well, we all know this happens from time to time. We deal with it and move on.

Here are two pictures of part of the Cat and Snails quilt top. The snails borders are on the long sides and the chevron border is at the top (chevron on bottom border also, but not in the pictures). I am going to echo quilt inside and outside of the cat blocks and do pebbles around the snails. I don't yet have a plan for the chevron borders.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5250009.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	131431 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5250007.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	131432
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WIP - 5/31/16 - Last Day in May

That's looking great, Sylvia!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I decided to challenge myself by attempting Jaybirds Sweet Tooth BOM. Here is the first block Peppermint Swirl in two colorways.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sweet tooth 002.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	131448

More importantly my new sewing machine, a Singer S16, arrived today. Look how much bigger it is than my old Brother PC420. I need to go get it set up. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sweet tooth 003.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	131449
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

The cat and snails design is neat. Did you invent that or did you pull it from a pattern?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Love it Sylvia.... always wanted to try a "snail trail",,, but this is even cuter)
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by midnightline View Post
    The cat and snails design is neat. Did you invent that or did you pull it from a pattern?
    It is a combination of two patterns. Here is the pattern for the cats. (The snails pattern came from a book, and is not a free pattern.)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	koolkatskwilt_1.pdf 
Views:	35 
Size:	500.7 KB 
ID:	131462
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ah the hilarious misadventures of learning a new sewing machine. Got a bobbin wound. Check. This machine has a vertical bobbin. Followed the instructions to test the bobbin tension by flicking it like a yo-yo. The bobbin flew out and rolled across the room. Found bobbin and reinstalled. Tension way too tight. Tried repeatedly to adjust tension screw, until the screw loosened so much it come out and rolled onto floor. Frantically searched floor with LED light looking for tiny tiny screw. Finally found screw and reinstalled. Bobbin tension still seems tight, hope I didn't break something. Managed to thread top of machine. Got the automatic needle threader to function (I think their definition of automatic is different than mine, anything that involves two hands and three separate hand motions is not automatic). Radically tightened the top thread tension to get a half way decent looking stitch with even tension, I am guessing because the bobbin tension is to tight. Machine is making an intermittent clunking noise as it sews. Pretty sure that is not right.

Watched some youtube videos on how to adjust the vertical bobbin tension. I think something is seriously wrong with my bobbin case.

Sigh. I will take a break and try again on my lunch break.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Sylvia--awesome work. I love the pattern.
    Denise--I can't wait to see all you create with the new machine.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've laid out the brick blocks for my current project on my design wall.........and I'm loving it. Now I need to figure out the amount of gray fabric needed for the rest of the quilt.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sylvia, what a cool quilt! Your color and fabric choices are awesome. This looks like an intricate and complicated pattern. I love it!
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon