Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Fall Harvest Wall Hanging Finally Finished!

Quote Originally Posted by SuzyQue View Post
    I agree with everyone so far! Great colors for that room. Love the warm rich fall tones! The quilting is fantastic! Great job! If you don't mind sharing, what paint color is on that wall? I am looking for something that rich for my kitchen.
    Hi Suzy, The paint we used for our living room was Behr's Butter Rum. We had it mixed at Home Depot. Here is a picture of the paint label that shows their color mix codes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BUTTER RUM BEHR PAINT.jpg 
Views:	1548 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	12376

It is more of a pumpkin color than a gold, but I love it! I wasn't too sure when I first saw it in the can but it really does add a nice punch of color to the room.
    Linda
    -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
    Fantastic! I'm so impressed with your FMQ. It looks very professional! How much practicing did you do to get that good??? I really need to start practicing. After the New Year I'll give it a go. I don't have any interest in FMQ on large projects but for small quilts I'd like to be able to master it.
    Hi Rebecca,
    I started watching Leah Day's FMQ videos on her blog and spent some time practicing several different designs on small quilt sandwiches. Learning how to setup my machine and getting tools like my Machinger gloves, the Supreme Slider along with a sewing extension table really helped! It was easier for me to start out just outlining existing patterns in the fabric to learn how to move the fabric under the needle.

I still have lots to learn when it comes to getting a uniform stitch length by keeping a rhythm between my foot pedal speed and how fast I move the fabric. I finally decided it was time to stop outlining and just "let loose" by practicing some of the free motion designs Leah has on her site. Ultimately I decided that "anything goes" and I don't stress out too much when I cross my quilting lines or my shapes are uneven. I expect that with many more years practice those issues will take care of themselves! For now I am just enjoying experimenting and actually finishing some of my UFOs!

Check out Leah Day's Free Motion Quilting Blog here. She has tons of great videos and good information available for free!

http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...tart-here.html
    Last edited by Sewbee; December 5th, 2011 at 03:52 PM.
    Linda
    -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fall Harvest Wall Hanging Finally Finished!

It is sooooo beautiful and looks stunning on your wall Your FMQ is awesome too!!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my gosh, the quilting is beautiful! You must have practised a lot. Either that or you're naturally fabulous!

I tried copying some of Leah's videos but mine were just rubbish. I must learn to be patient if that's the result.
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

JR, one thing I learned was to make a little bit larger practice quilt sandwich than Leah uses in her videos. It looks like she does hers on a 5 or 6 inch square. I found that too small for me to get a good hold of with both hands and still have enough room to freemotion practice. I would use at least a 8 to 12 inch square or rectangle. Another thing that helped me was to use a pencil and large notepad to practice drawing a certain quilt pattern over and over until I got comfortable with the rhythm and flow. Then I would try it on fabric. Some patterns like simple loops or "CS and Es" seem more natural to do and are good beginning patterns. Just keep at it and you will find it does get easier!
    Linda

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info on the paint, Sewbee! You are a doll! It is on my list to pick up!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One word.........BEAUTIFUL!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

love the wall hanging and the colors you used..am very impressed with your FMQ; I am still in practice mode but do agree with using paper and pencil to get the idea into the brain...(didn't phrase that very well)...it does help...I use fat quarters for my practices; one side light and the other side dark so I can see my stitches...helps alot. Your living area is beautiful and I adore your wall hanging..excellent job on both the room and the wall hanging!