Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Binding Belle

Living in the amazingly beautiful Arizona desert
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Newbie question??

There are SO many quilting ideas/projects "out there" . . .
    I love looking at your completed projects
    How do you keep track of the ones you would like to make??
    (I am overwhelmed . . . I want to make EVERYthing!!)

Do you make a list? Keep them in a binder or on the computer? Save pictures to keep?

H E L P!!
    [I]Deborah[/I]

Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will direct your paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Newbie question??

Hi goodyear and welcome to the forum! I do all of the above! Seriously, I think we all have more ideas of projects than we'll ever be able to do in a lifetime. I have fabric stashed for future projects, patterns set aside for future projects, magazines put aside for future projects, items book marked in my computer for future projects, and on and on and on.

Just jump into your list and pick one--that's all I can suggest. Except, HAVE FUN!
    When life throws you scraps, make a quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goodyear94 View Post
    There are SO many quilting ideas/projects "out there" . . .
    I love looking at your completed projects
    How do you keep track of the ones you would like to make??
    (I am overwhelmed . . . I want to make EVERYthing!!)

Do you make a list? Keep them in a binder or on the computer? Save pictures to keep?

H E L P!!
    Yes.

Seriously, yes to all of the above. I have binders, books, printouts, cut outs from magazines, folders on my computer, digital magazines, they are all over my house! As for a list...well when the mood strikes me I start browsing through my patterns....
    Alana
    To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong.
    alanashideaway.blogspot.com
    https://www.facebook.com/quiltsbyAlana

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, welcome to the forum!!! I do all of the above. I have quilting books, magazines, patterns and fabric swatches in every room of my house. To prevent my magazines from piling too high I rip out the directions and pictures for the quilts I just HAVE to make. If you decide to do this, check to see if part of your pattern is printed in the pull-out pattern section of the magazine. I once forgot to pull the template patterns out for an appliqued quilt. I keep an ever-growing list in a tablet, but for some reason I don't keep my list on the computer. It's not unusual for me to put a new "must have" at the top of my list. I sketch a lot of quilt designs on graph paper when I get inspired. I also snap pictures with my phone while I'm out antiquing or shopping. This is all part of my addiction to fabrics and quilts....jump in, it's really fun!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Deborah. Welcome from Vermont. Like the others say, just save everything everywhere. And then you won't be able to find what you're looking for but you'll have fun browsing through all you've saved. Enjoy the forum and your new addition!
    Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Deborah and welcome from Canada. I am like the others. My list is in my head mostly along with other non-quilting stuff. LOL!!
    Pick one thing, do it then move on to the next. Whatever you do, have fun doing it and don't stress too much.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum from a rainy Grand Duchy. I do like all the other ladies above, plus when I go to sleep I think about all the projects I want to do. I also have a bucket list, that gets longer every day. Then I "clean" and "sort out" my fabric stash for example and I end up doing something totally different than what I planed. But I have lots of fun going through my stash or my bucket list.
    Wish you all the funn with your projects and love to see pictures of the finished projects, so that I'm able to add some to my list.
    greetings from Luxembourg

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

hi.... i would like to know...... do you wash your fabric first??? Some people do and some dont, dont know what to do. i have been quilting for about 4 months. and i love it and have soooo much i want to do. What do you think about washing fabric first. thanks
    Stacey

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! I don't like to wash my fabric first -- when I finish a project I ALWAYS wash it on gentle in cold water and use a dye catcher sheet (you can buy them in the laundry products section of the grocery store in a box) in case anything bleeds. If you are using small amounts of fabric for a project and want to pre-wash beware that they will fray a bit and you may lose a bit of yardage due to the fraying. I just prefer to work with fabric that is stiffer than pre-washed. Happy quilting!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A great big WELCOME to both Deborah and Stacey. Glad the two of you have wound up in the best place to be. And, to answer your questions: Deborah: YES; Stacey: NO . . .
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."