Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is this too busy?

Hi all! Sooooo, I'm working on this blue bear claw quilt for my sister in law. I'm trying to figure out how to put it together and, well, it looks kind of busy to me. I let her pick the fabric (blue porcelain by Northcott) and the block. I thought I would mix it up by adding the 4 square in the center of the paw. The block is a big 14". I'm wondering if I made the block too big and the pattern too busy? I am planning on sashing it, and will probably go with the white, but would really like some honest opinions about what I can do to make this less busy looking. Maybe make some blocks without the four patch in the paw? Should I have made the blocks smaller? While I am enjoying making it, I'm not thrilled with how it is turning out.... Any suggestions?

First photos with blue sashing from different angles, than the white from different angles.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	130554

Views:	155 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	130555

Views:	110 
Size:	207.7 KB 
ID:	130556

Views:	98 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	130557

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is this too busy?

I don't think it's too busy at all. Although the white sashing seems to calm it down - but overall I think I like the blue sashing best. It's going to be a lovely quilt either way.
    ***Kathy***

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, Kathy you said just what I was thinking. I love a blue and white quilt.
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

4. Thanks ucarrieme thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love it, not too busy at all for a blue and white lover. I like it with the blue sashing but the white is pretty, too.

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that it isn't too busy, but I prefer the white sashing. Either way, it is very pretty.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

This is lovely. I like a quilt with block I recognize, it is like seeing tradition! I like both sashing, but like the white the best.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should be proud of this. Your work is excellent. The colors are soothing. Busy would not be the word I would use to describe this. Beautiful and calming. Choose the color that you like and enjoy.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your quilt is so pretty and I love that fabric line so much. I like the blue sashing but white would look great to.And I agree, it is not too busy at all. I think you picked a really good pattern to show off that fabric.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Kathy. I prefer the blue sashing with the big blocks you've made because I think it sets them off better. To my eye the dark cornerstones are too jarring with the white sashing. But white still looks good, just different. Either way it's going to be lovely. Great fabric choices.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love it with the blue sashing! That color seems to enhance the beauty of the piecing in each block. The white calms it down too much, and give it a much more bland appearance. That's why I like the blue. You could narrow the blue sashing if you thought it was too bold.