Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default border questions

I have made a plus sign quilt that is quite a bit longer than it is wide (60x85). I want to put a 6 inch border on the sides, but will it look weird not to have the same border on the top and bottom? My DH says don't put a border on the ends, just on the sides, but somehow that seems unfinished to me. Would a narrower border be okay on the ends? I don't want to add a lot more fabric to the length, but maybe a 2 inch border? What do you think?
    Nancy

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: border questions

Yes it would be OK to do this. I never have but have seen other quilts with border sizes different on the sides than the bottom. I think it might be interesting and different. I'd have to see it. Bottom line is what you think and what you would like to do. You could put the side borders on and leave it in a place where you can see it to get a feel for if you want to leave it as is or add bottom borders. Without seeing the quilt I'm guessing but if the binding were the same fabric as the side borders without any border on the bottom and top maybe that would help even out the look?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

p.s. I love plus quilts!

Another option could be not to add a border at all.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love Plus Quilts. I'd recommend no borders.
    Sew Preeti Quilts: Plus Quilt