Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Binding help please

This afternoon I am sewing the borders on my first soon-to-be-finished quilt top! The top with borders will be about 84" x 72". Can anyone help me figure how much fabric I will need for the binding? I'm not sure how wide to cut it - I thought it should be 2.5 inches wide since it will be doubled, right?

Thanks for any help you can give this still-beginning quilter! I'm getting excited to see my first quilt finished. I am going to have someone quilt it with a free arm so hopefully it won't take too long!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Binding help please

I cut mine 2.5 inches wide - using the width of fabric. A quilt this size will need a minimum of 312 inches plus extra for mitering and overlapping the ends. Plus...you'll lose 4-5 inches every time you sew two strips together, due to having to lap the pieces on the bias. So, maybe an additional 36 inches to be safe. So, that would be 372 inches. Divided by the typical fabric width of 42 inches, that's 9 strips. I'd probably do 10 or 11, just to be sure. I always go long.

Hope this helps.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I find this site very helpful for figuring out how much binding or border fabric is needed.
    Quilter's Paradise - The Leader in Laser-Cut and Pre-Cut Kits and Services for the Quilting Market
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Robert Kaufman also has a quilt fabric calculator for the iPhone. I cut mine 2.5" as well. So I calculate 3/4 of a yard. I always make extra just in case. I find the extra always gets used for mug rugs, runner and other things.
    Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I always bind with 2.5" strips. I measure the dimensions of the quilt, total that up, then add 10". Most of my quilts are baby quilts. For a larger quilt you might need some extra for all the piecing together of the strips.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the links - I'm sure I will refer to them again. I also didn't think about extra needed for mitering the corners or making bias seams where the lengths are joined. Joy, I think I will add extra just in case, especially for my first one! Thanks for all of the tips. I came up with 3/4 of a yard too, by figuring 11 strips and by using the calculators. I think I have a little over a yard of the fabric I want to use so I should be good.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

It's always better to have too much than too little! You can always use a leftover 2.5" strip or two...such a handy size.

Something I wish I had known for my first quilt: if you've got a walking foot, use it when you're sewing the binding on. It makes it so much easier!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

2 times (length + breadth) + 20.
    Divide the number above by 42.
    Round up.
    Cut that many strips 2.5" by WOF.

For example, if your quilt is 60" by 85"
    2 (60 + 85) = 2 X 145 = 290
    Add 20
    = 310

Divide 310 by 42 = 7.38
    Cut 8 strips 2.5" by WOF.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hate math and never figure out how many inches I need before I prepare my binding. I know that is stupid, but just what I do. At least I have a tendency to over estimate, I have never been too short in fact I usually wind up with about 30-40 more inches than I need! Yes I can hear you all laughing at me already.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I never do the math either. I just lay the quilt out on the bed, cut a 2.5 strip lay it out on one side of quilt. You can just look at it and see that you will need 2 for each side and 2 for top and bottom (8). You will have leftover. That is just 20" of fabric.