Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Help!

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help!

Has anyone made the Dot to Dot Quilt from Joann?

I pieced it using Jenny's HST tutorial on using strip sets and cutting them, but I cannot get my black dot strips to match up nicely. Her tutorial doesn't put the blocks together in a way that they'd match. The tip from Joann's says to match the intersections 1/4" in, but when I do that, my blocks are offset.

And here I was so smug about finding a simple way to piece the HST! I now have 36 blocks, and can't match them!!
    I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.

2. Thanks quiltsRfun thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help!

If you're not pinning that could be the problem. Do you understand how to pin when joining instersections that need to match up? I suggest you look at the Youtube video. It might be easier to understand.

Here's a visual tutorial on pin basting from Connecting Threads https://www.connectingthreads.com/tu...Pin__D103.html

Here's a Youtube video that should help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EvT-xGI7p0
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I will definitely give this a try! I was pinning, but I was getting off somewhere. The stab method is new to me. I'm hoping it'll save this project.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

If your strip cutting and seams are not 1/4 inch that could be throwing it off as well.
    Quilters never die, they just go batts.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, Tesspug, I think that is sort of what I did. Your post got me to looking back at the original pattern. There was a step in there that I missed because I didn't use the template to cut triangles. Had I done so, one of the strips would've been trimmed about 1/4 inch (the one with the long side in the triangle).

The good thing is I think I can save this by going back and resewing 1/4" from the original seam lines. I've given it a try with some scrap material and I think it'll work. Luckily, this was meant to be a wall-hanging, so changing the overall size won't matter in the long run.

Thank you both for your help! I was just about to shelve this!