Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default walking foot 1/4" seam

Am sewing jelly roll strips together using a walking foot (per suggestions from my instructor). How do you ensure you have a quarter inch seam when using a walking foot? My first attempt produces a seam that is slightly larger than 1/4". Would appreciate advice. The fabric is a light weight cotton. The walking foot was suggested to ensure that the fabric feeds more evenly.

Help

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: walking foot 1/4" seam

Does your machine have the capability of moving the needle? If so, you can move the needle over so you get an exact 1/4" from the edge of the walking foot. Put a small ruler under your foot and move the needle so it rests right on the 1/4" mark. If you cannot adjust the needle - I would just use my regular 1/4" foot and not worry using the walking foot. You are only putting two layers through at a time.
    ***Kathy***

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on your walking foot. On mine, I measured to determine where 1/4" was. It happens to line up with an opening in the WF, so I line up the fabric with that spot. I have a moveable needle, but I've never used that feature.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You inidicated that your instructor suggested using the walking foot. I only use my walking foot for Stitch-In-The-Ditich quilting. It seems like using a hand-grenade to kill a house-fly. It will kill the fly but do you really need that much power to acomplish the job. But I also say when you are in a class situation you should follow the instructors advice.

One solution would be to line up a 1/4" seam on a strip and put masking tape of painter tape so you can line up the edge of the strips with that to know you are in the correct place.

5. Thanks sydneybean, Devchdm thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobW View Post
    You inidicated that your instructor suggested using the walking foot. I only use my walking foot for Stitch-In-The-Ditich quilting. It seems like using a hand-grenade to kill a house-fly. It will kill the fly but do you really need that much power to acomplish the job. But I also say when you are in a class situation you should follow the instructors advice.

One solution would be to line up a 1/4" seam on a strip and put masking tape of painter tape so you can line up the edge of the strips with that to know you are in the correct place.
    I am laughing at your analogy, and also find myself questioning why the instructor would have you use a walking foot for piecing? Maybe it's my walking foot, but I don't have enough pressure on the foot unless I've got more than the two layers of fabric...?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used a walking foot for piecing. If you have one, use your 1/4" foot. If you don't have one, it is well worth investing in a 1/4" foot.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If your walking foot has a single small hole, be careful about moving the needle. You could end up with a broken needle or worse, throw off the timing of your machine.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Can you measure how far away from the right edge of your presser foot is your needle? Tell us what machine you have and somebody will have a perfect response for your machine, I'm sure.

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never used my walking foot to piece. No need to...it will feed perfectly fine with your regular foot or a 1/4" foot.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it depends on the machine. I find a walking foot helps when I sew jelly roll strips the long way. If I don't, I end up with the top strip longer than the bottom strip, as the feed dogs pull the bottom strip through at a stronger pace. I just have a piece of masking tape on the machine, in front of the foot, to show where 1/4" is.