Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spray basting with silk batting

Hi all - anyone have experience spray basting when using a silk batting? A friend of mine who has never spray basted or used silk batting has tried to make her quilt sandwich with both and is claiming it is not working, that the spray basting is not holding, even tho she used almost a whole (small) can for a slightly smaller than queen sized top. I was wondering if perhaps the silk was the reason for this. I have not seen the sandwich for myself so am not sure it is not really working: she may just have unrealistic expectation on how well it will hold (she is usually a pin-baster).
    thanks in advance!
    Laura

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spray basting with silk batting

It has been a while since I used basting spray. I used 101 and was very happy with it. I used it for all size quilts even large size quilts and it held up all the way through the quilting process. I hand quilted these quilts and it took a while to finish quilting. With that more recently said I've heard more and more quilters say that they have had issues with spray basting lasting. Maybe it depends on which one you use. Maybe lesser quality ingredients are now being used?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spray basting with silk batting

I always spray badge....too lazy to pin and then unpinned.....but, I've never used silk batting.... Just all cotton, poly, or a mix of the two... The silk might be less porous....or slick.... Sort of like a raincoat....liquid just beads up, or runs off...

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit