• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rebeccas-sewing
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2010

Machine Embroidered Labels

I embroidered a wedding quilt label yesterday (thank you, Jean for the saying). I've noticed with the larger labels, having removed the stabilizer, that it's hard to keep the fabric smooth even after pressing it. It's very nice looking until I tear away the stabilizer and press it. For those of you who machine embroider, do you use any additional stabilizer that stays in the project to keep that from happening? If so, which brand do you like? What about fusible interfacing along with the tear away? Would that make a difference? I'm afraid if I leave the tear away on it when it's washed the stabilizer won't hold up to the water and the label will be a mess.

Also, I have to share an "idiot" moment. I get the wording embroidered. When I begin the scissors stitch-out I freak out because the design isn't sewing out completely. There are missed areas. I call the dealer. He's stymied. I go back to the machine to try and figure it out. All of a sudden as I'm looking at the screen it says "color change." Did I say I'm an idiot? hahaha

I know we all love visuals so here we go.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; May 11, 2016, 10:32 AM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.
  • Sandy Navas
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2010

Re: Machine Embroidered Labels

Rebecca - I, personally, would use a cut-away stabilizer. I prefer to stitch out the lettering and then layer the label over a piece of fabric from the quilt and sew a seam around. Then I trim everything with pinking shears except for the one edge that I sew into the binding when I put it on the quilt.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• Oleg
      Applique Angel
      • Jun 2013

I have a Brother PE-770 and make my quilt labels with it. I found that if I iron 2 layers of tearaway stabilizer on the back of the fabric before stitching I get much smoother looking label afterwards. If I use only 1 layer those pesky wrinkles appear after you remove it from the hoop. Hope that helps!

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2012

I used 2 layers of tear away hooped, and my fabric floated and stabilized with Pellon featherweight iron on interfacing to do this one. I found the iron on helps a lot in keeping the fabric from wrinkling. More stabilizer means smoother sew outs. You can also float a heavy stabilizer under the hoop to add to the stability of the whole thing.

image.jpg

Bravo, Rebecca! Your label turned out great! Now we both know how to make them!

Comment

• Angela J
          Missouri Star
          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Oleg View Post
          I have a Brother PE-770 and make my quilt labels with it. I found that if I iron 2 layers of tearaway stabilizer on the back of the fabric before stitching I get much smoother looking label afterwards. If I use only 1 layer those pesky wrinkles appear after you remove it from the hoop. Hope that helps!
          I have been looking at the Brother PE-770, How do you like it, pros and cons? Sorry for asking a question In someone elses post but I would really like to know before I purchase one.

Comment

• seaturtle
            Missouri Star
            • Jul 2015

I agree with the cutaway.
            Cindy

Comment

• Bubby
              Missouri Star
              • Jun 2011

I agree with cutaway. I also find that pressing without steam helps keep the labels flatter.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• rebeccas-sewing
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2010

All great advice. Thank you mucho! I'll give some of your suggestions a try next label I make. Off to add this thread to my user notes so I don't forget the advice you've given me.

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jun 2011

I have a friend that uses leave in stabilizer on about everything she does even T shirts. She has a different type machine, not a Brother but the effect should be the same. She never seems to have a pucker.
                  Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• CraftySweetPeas
                    The Guild President
                    • Dec 2015

I use sticky stabilizer and also float tulle under my labels, if that helps. I select a color that is closest to the label, so as to not "show". As a rule, I rarely hoop anything but stabilizer anymore....
                    Barbara
                    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

• Squeaky
                      Applique Angel
                      • Aug 2012

I iron on a piece of SF101 woven, then use a tear-away in the hoop. The SF101 is soft and lays well without being too stiff, but does help add the stability I like.

Comment

• LindaKay75
                        The Guild President
                        • Mar 2014

I have a Bernina embroidery machine and thru trial and error I use 2 layers of tear away stabilizer, fabric never puckers.
                        sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Comment

• Bernina2
                          The Guild President
                          • Oct 2014

I use a cutaway stabilizer on my embroidery .
                          It seems to be thicker and keeps the fabric smooth
                          after embroidering. I use OESD brand.
                          It comes in 10 inch X 10 yard roll.
                          I just trim the stabilizer from around the emb. Area.

Comment

• rebeccas-sewing
                            Missouri Star
                            • Apr 2010

Thank you. I think I'll try cut away next time. That sounds like the easiest solution to the problem. I'm also going to investigate SF101. Sounds like an interesting product. As suggested, I think ironing without steam would help. I was spraying it with water before ironing and I'm beginning to think that made it worse. I'm also going to test the tear away to see what happens when it gets wet. If it doesn't fall apart I might just leave that in so I don't waste a whole roll of stabilizer. I'll also experiment with using more than one layer of stabilizer but that seems like a costly option to me. I'd rather figure out how to stabilize with one product but maybe I'm being too optomistic. hahaha

Guess what? These kids are getting a wrinkly label. No way am I doing a makeover. hahaha

Yes, Jean, it feels good to have finally figured out how to embroider text on the 12000. Every advance I make gives me more confidence when it comes to technology. hahaha Bravo is right!!!
                            Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; May 12, 2016, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• Oleg
                              Applique Angel
                              • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Angela J View Post
                              I have been looking at the Brother PE-770, How do you like it, pros and cons? Sorry for asking a question In someone elses post but I would really like to know before I purchase one.
                              It is very easy to use, I like that you can create labels on your computer and transfer them to the machine via memory stick. It has the best automatic threader I have ever used on a sewing machine, practically foolproof. I have a 5" X 7" hoop which seems big enough for most projects. You have to change the thread after each color change (does not have multiple needles.) This is an embroidery only machine, so you still need a regular sewing machine for everything else. I like it!

Comment

Working...
                              X