Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Machine Embroidered Labels

I embroidered a wedding quilt label yesterday (thank you, Jean for the saying). I've noticed with the larger labels, having removed the stabilizer, that it's hard to keep the fabric smooth even after pressing it. It's very nice looking until I tear away the stabilizer and press it. For those of you who machine embroider, do you use any additional stabilizer that stays in the project to keep that from happening? If so, which brand do you like? What about fusible interfacing along with the tear away? Would that make a difference? I'm afraid if I leave the tear away on it when it's washed the stabilizer won't hold up to the water and the label will be a mess.

Also, I have to share an "idiot" moment. I get the wording embroidered. When I begin the scissors stitch-out I freak out because the design isn't sewing out completely. There are missed areas. I call the dealer. He's stymied. I go back to the machine to try and figure it out. All of a sudden as I'm looking at the screen it says "color change." Did I say I'm an idiot? hahaha

I know we all love visuals so here we go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0427.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	130319  
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; May 11th, 2016 at 01:32 PM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Machine Embroidered Labels

Rebecca - I, personally, would use a cut-away stabilizer. I prefer to stitch out the lettering and then layer the label over a piece of fabric from the quilt and sew a seam around. Then I trim everything with pinking shears except for the one edge that I sew into the binding when I put it on the quilt.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Brother PE-770 and make my quilt labels with it. I found that if I iron 2 layers of tearaway stabilizer on the back of the fabric before stitching I get much smoother looking label afterwards. If I use only 1 layer those pesky wrinkles appear after you remove it from the hoop. Hope that helps!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used 2 layers of tear away hooped, and my fabric floated and stabilized with Pellon featherweight iron on interfacing to do this one. I found the iron on helps a lot in keeping the fabric from wrinkling. More stabilizer means smoother sew outs. You can also float a heavy stabilizer under the hoop to add to the stability of the whole thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	162.1 KB 
ID:	130320

Bravo, Rebecca! Your label turned out great! Now we both know how to make them!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
    I have a Brother PE-770 and make my quilt labels with it. I found that if I iron 2 layers of tearaway stabilizer on the back of the fabric before stitching I get much smoother looking label afterwards. If I use only 1 layer those pesky wrinkles appear after you remove it from the hoop. Hope that helps!
    I have been looking at the Brother PE-770, How do you like it, pros and cons? Sorry for asking a question In someone elses post but I would really like to know before I purchase one.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the cutaway.
    Cindy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with cutaway. I also find that pressing without steam helps keep the labels flatter.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

All great advice. Thank you mucho! I'll give some of your suggestions a try next label I make. Off to add this thread to my user notes so I don't forget the advice you've given me.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend that uses leave in stabilizer on about everything she does even T shirts. She has a different type machine, not a Brother but the effect should be the same. She never seems to have a pucker.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I use sticky stabilizer and also float tulle under my labels, if that helps. I select a color that is closest to the label, so as to not "show". As a rule, I rarely hoop anything but stabilizer anymore....