Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with a square made from 2 triangles

Hi!
    I am relatively new with quilting, so my question may be silly to most.
    I have only sewed straight seams in my quilts so far. I am branching out to triangles. A friend is trying to help me with sewing 2 squares together with 2 seams diagonally and then cutting them apart.
    If my pattern is for finished 2 inch blocks, do I start with 2.5 inch blocks even when I will be sewing and cutting them into a square with 2 triangles? I have square blocks that are 2.5 inch to start and I will be sewing a block next to it that is a square made up of 2 triangles.
    I made the triangles, but they seem too small now next to my 2.5 inch square.
    Does this make sense? :-)

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help with a square made from 2 triangles

The rule of thumb. Cut your squares with an added 7/8" to the FINISHED size of your unit. In other words, if you are making 2" finished squares (the size the units will be once sewn into the quilt), cut 2 7/8" squares. I round mine up so I can square up each unit. If I wanted to make a 2" finished unit I would cut my squares 3". Trust me when I say you should round up and then square up the units. Your quilt blocks will go together much easier if you do this.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

3. Thanks mewitte thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Rebecca is steering you right. I would add - try this a few times with scrap fabric before sewing and squaring up the good stuff. Also be careful with the pressing. You want to give yourself trials to learn how to use your square up ruler effectively and accurately so the HSTs turn out perfect. You will be glad you did.

5. Thanks mewitte thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
    The rule of thumb. Cut your squares with an added 7/8" to the FINISHED size of your unit. In other words, if you are making 2" finished squares (the size the units will be once sewn into the quilt), cut 2 7/8" squares. I round mine up so I can square up each unit. If I wanted to make a 2" finished unit I would cut my squares 3". Trust me when I say you should round up and then square up the units. Your quilt blocks will go together much easier if you do this.
    Very nice instructions. This is what i was going to suggest but you explain it so well.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to invest in one of these https://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponli...lay.asp?i=1087 They are fantastic for squaring up HST. yo can buy it here on MSQC.
    Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I always round up an inch,, then trim the half square triangles to size.... The 7/8 measurement never made sense to me...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by easyquilts View Post
    I always round up an inch,, then trim the half square triangles to size.... The 7/8 measurement never made sense to me...
    You are right. The math approach that dictates a square 7/8" larger than the desired unfinished size may be technically correct, but it's very impractical. It's much easier to round up to the full inch larger size for accurate measuring and cutting. Our quilting rulers aren't the greatest for 1/8" increments. Sticking with the full inch is common sense, isn't it?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sticking with the full inch is common sense, isn't it?
    It absolutely is, yes.