Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to Quilt the Tumbling Block Quilt?

I finally finished my quilt top for the Tumbling Blocks Quilt last week, and have been staring at it every since on my design wall. I have no idea how I want to quilt it. I can straight line quilt but don't really want to stuff such a big quilt through the throat of my machine. If I quilt it on my frame I can't quilt straight line and I have no idea what pattern to use or what color of thread.

If I tussle with quilting on my DSM, I can change the color of thread to blend with each side of the block. What would you do?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TBlocks Quilt Top May 2016.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	130316

2. Thanks Bjvarizona thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to Quilt the Tumbling Block Quilt?

Angela J....beautiful job, sweetie!

Yes, you can change thread color! and when you state you cannot quilt a straight line in your frame? Are you hand quilting or machine quilting? But, regardless....it's your quilt and you can quilt it however you like! I think it would looks grand with a dark teal thread SITD for the aqua block, a black thread for the gray block and a silver thread for the black block!
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shermur View Post

Yes, you can c hange thread color! and when you state you cannot quilt a straight line in your frame? Are you hand quilting or machine quilting? But, regardless....it's your quilt and you can quilt it however you like! I think it would looks grand with a dark teal thread SITD for the aqua block, a black thread for the gray block and a silver thread for the black block!
    It would be machine quilted on my Grace SR2 frame with my Juki 2010. The block sides would be wider than I can straight line quilt on my frame. I am awful at hand sewing or I would attempt it. I just don't want it falling apart in the first wash. I like your color choices for thread. I will have to order some teal and silver thread. I might just pack this thing away for awhile.

Thanks so much for responding.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

wow, I am in awe of all tumbling block project, good for you, looks amazing.
    did you use Jenny's tutorial?
    All you need is Love

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mario1360 View Post
    wow, I am in awe of all tumbling block project, good for you, looks amazing.
    did you use Jenny's tutorial?
    Yes I did and I used her Rhombus template.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

http://http://www.jaybirdquilts.com/2015/10/arcade-game.html

This is a pattern by Jaybird quilts. I think the quilting really emphasizes the 3d effect. Your quilt is lovely!

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

I would use my walking foot and do straight line channel quilting top to bottom. From what I see online that's a popular quilt design for modern quilts.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I think a variegated gray or silver or teal would be beautiful with this. Your quilt is amazing (think Century Link commercial where the Mom "pops" her hands and the daughter says, "Oh, wow mom...that was good") and I think however you quilt it it will be beautiful.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great job! I agree with Barbara on the varigated. That would look really cool.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shermur View Post

Yes, you can change thread color! and when you state you cannot quilt a straight line in your frame? Are you hand quilting or machine quilting? But, regardless....it's your quilt and you can quilt it however you like! I think it would looks grand with a dark teal thread SITD for the aqua block, a black thread for the gray block and a silver thread for the black block!
    I agree - you can change color! I have a wall hanging that I used several different colors. I used red, black and a variegated green. I did all the red first, then rolled back to the top, did all the green, then rolled back to the top and did the black. I just finished not too long ago a lap quilt for my husband that had a design in the border that I did not want to stop and roll the quilt I wanted to just do the whole border, so I rotated the quilt. It meant repinning it, but since I did not have to worry about 3 separate layers it went faster.

Your quilt top is really beautiful!
    Vonnie