Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Non traditional sewing tools?

plastic tubing rings to hold wayward bobbin thread
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bobbins_5329.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	130612

plate display rack for holding embroidery hoops

Name:	66f1223bb3f9caa33cc998b9a7d6bdab.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	130613

piano stools that swivel for easy up and down. I also have a piano chair that is like the others but has a back.

Name:	587a2ded9d88d589fe485ee16609b27c.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	130614

2. Thanks ucarrieme thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

A lint roller to use on jelly rolls before opening. Nexcare medical tape ... I put a small strip on the backs of my Missouri Star templates...works fabulously... A tip I got from Bonnie Hunter. For my Quiltworx paper piecing patterns .. Stapler, stapler remover, binder clips, paper clips, post it notes and 2 gallon ziplock bags.
    Sherrie

4. Thanks ucarrieme thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyCurious View Post
    That would certainly motivate me! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by shirleyknot View Post
    Are your feet cold?
    Ha ha very funny.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My entire sewing room is created by repurposing odds and ends. Our house is One and 1/2 stories...we put floor in and walls and I have created sewing space around items which must be stored.

My "design wall" is a piece of sureply left over from a project that lays on top of storage boxes. No wall room in this attic space. I covered up leaves from a large dining table with a sheet and that lays on cedar chest to be another design area.

I have taken two old sewing machine cabinets which do not fit my machines and put a piece of ceramic tile over hole to create sewing space. An old table sits on the back of my sewing machine so quilt will be supported.

Two old wire organizers with drawers that were purchased by me for storage when I worked) contain sewing and craft supplies I don't use much. Two vintage metal top tables became my cutting/ironing surfaces. Command hooks are on the edge of a book storage area to hold scissors. An old dish display rack is the place my rulers hang. An old bobbin from a defunct cotton mill is what holds my binding. An old microwave cart holds the supplies for my embroidery machine. I order tea from Internet that comes in nifty little metal containers...these hold old blades for rotary cutter. Medicine bottles for discarded needles....theses needles can be pushed into Sheetrock and hold up lightweight pictures.

A metal cart on wheels from Harbor Freight holds the fabric and directions for the projects I am most currently work on. I took a discarded transparency projector (could no longer be lighted) and put a work light in it for my light box. Old bowls to hold small items and plastic trays for storage ( like my eyebrow trimmer, which I love!). An old ashtray holder on stand holds my metal saucer from Harbor Freight) so it won't be close to machine. A silicone oven liner has had a hole cut in it for needle area and serves as Super Slider. I use green painter's tape. My daughters' old drafting board from college was covered with towel and then with ironing material to be ironing surface. Old plastic watering can ( small) for putting water in iron. Rods from old quilting frame to help me roll quilt when sandwiching and spray basting.

My sewing room may be a little tacky in looks but it works for me.
    Last edited by Lightwriter; May 18th, 2016 at 01:37 AM.
    Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

7. Thanks ucarrieme thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot something else.

I use those notebook paper reinforcements, I think that's the proper term but I know them as paper $$$holes, on my rulers. Whenever I'm dealing with trimming a square down I put the little round sticker over the ruler spot that I need - 2.25" or whatever it may be. That way I won't have to keep remembering what size the square should be.

9. Thanks ucarrieme thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I use the cheap shower curtain rings to hang my rulers in the closet, I've used an empty aurifil spool to wind my binding on until I was ready to use it, I use the plastic scrapbooking
    holders for organizing my projects and I have a desk organizer next to my sewing machine to hold pins, extra feet and various other tools I might need while sewing.

11. Thanks ucarrieme thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

A soft bristled shaving brush (like my dad used to use when I was a little girl) to sweep threads and wisps away from my blocks after squaring with the rotary cutter.

13. Thanks ucarrieme thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have many repurposed items but one of my favorites is an empty liquid creamer bottle. It works perfectly to fill your irons with water. It has that little spout on it and works great!!!
    Shirley

15. Thanks ucarrieme thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Most things you already mentioned: toe separators for bobbins, painter's tape (I buy a clear one, as I also use it for labelling bags and boxes), pipe cleaners to hunt lint out my sewing machine, food containers...

I do a lot of scrappy quilts where you need to sew hundreds of small units. I've found boxes with inner separations at the equivalent of the Dollar Store (I guess they are intended for tea) and I find them very useful to keep the small pieces sorted and keep count of them:

I also have a pile of pizza boxes where I keep WIPs: blocks waiting to be assembled. Mine aren't lined with pretty fabrics like those on the following pic:

17. Thanks ucarrieme thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I use a sports-style water bottle to refill my iron:

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	130671

Liz

19. Thanks ucarrieme thanked for this post