Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default What would you do with a quilt made by your grandmother, but really needs help?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	130151
    I love this quilt because my grandmother sewed this. It is just barely quilted, though, every 24 inches or so=
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture4.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	130152
    and the back is a scratchy stained fabric that i would like to replace. And I would like to quilt over. Is it possible to take apart a quilt? How does one do that?

Here is another part of the puzzle. I have a large family. Would you ever think, as I am, of cutting into the quilt top and making table runners for many. I like that idea, but it is so daunting to think of finding fabrics that would complement, extend. and I would lose the points on some of her stars. Which would be so disrespectful. Plus it seems sort of bad karma. But also sharing the history with my brothers and sisters and daughters, nieces, nephews.

I would appreciate any suggestions, guidance from you all.
    Last edited by Old Newbie; May 8th, 2016 at 11:56 AM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What would you do with a quilt made by your grandmother, but really needs help?

That's some dilemma, I wouldn't take it apart but try to re-back with softer fabric. Then you can quilt as you like.
    Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

3. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What would you do with a quilt made by your grandmother, but really needs help?

I have one that was made by my grandmother...it is not usable...but hangs in a place of honour in my sewing room

5. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you REALLY love the family members that would get a piece of this quilt and you KNOW for CERTAIN that they would LOVE and TREASURE such a gift, I wouldn't hesitate to divide it up.

But if such can't be said, then I would be selfish and keep it to myself ... fixing/repairing as needed.
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

7. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think your going to solve your "should I cut or not" dilemma here! Personally I wouldn't cut it. I'd pull the old quilting out, if I could. Re back it and quilt it again. Lots of work, but OH my what a treasure. Good Luck with your decision whatever it is.

9. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not cut it. I do think it would be fine to add additional quilting to it. Too bad she didn't put a border on it. That would make it easier to add another backing using the pillowcase method of turning it. It would be a shame to cut off points trying to add a new back. The only way I could see adding a new backing is to measure the size of the quilt and add excess. This would be a good time to use 505 basting spray and baste it in place with the spray. Once it was secured to the original backing with the adhesive spray I'd trim all around it leaving an inch all around. Turn it under all the way around pinning in place. Hand stitch with the ladder stitch. Next up would be the additional quilting.

Perhaps someone else will come up with a better way but this would be full proof and worth the effort for such a beautiful quilt. We all know how much time and labor must've gone into making it. I agree that it deserves your respect. In my opinion, cutting it up would not be the way I would go.
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; May 8th, 2016 at 03:09 PM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

11. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Would the 505 basting spray damage the old fabric? I don't know, as I have never used it, and that is why I'm asking.

Otherwise, I would not cut it up, because to me, that would be more disrespectful. I like your idea Rebecca.

This is a good question to post though. I'll be curious to see all the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
    I would not cut it. I do think it would be fine to add additional quilting to it. Too bad she didn't put a border on it. That would make it easier to add another backing using the pillowcase method of turning it. It would be a shame to cut off points trying to add a new back. The only way I could see adding a new backing is to measure the size of the quilt and add excess. This would be a good time to use 505 basting spray and baste it in place with the spray. Once it was secured to the original backing with the adhesive spray I'd trim all around it leaving an inch all around. Turn it under all the way around pinning in place. Hand stitch with the ladder stitch. Next up would be the additional quilting.

Perhaps someone else will come up with a better way but this would be full proof and worth the effort for such a beautiful quilt. We all know how much time and labor must've gone into making it. I agree that it deserves your respect. In my opinion, cutting it up would not be the way I would go.

13. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why it would hurt the quilt. It's an excellent product and I hear it recommended often. Once you finish the quilt you could wash it in cold water to remove the basting spray. I'm pretty sure it is only a temporary adhesive. Also, you don't care about the original backing (thus the reason for adding a new one) and that's where the spray will rest. It won't actually be touching the piecework.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

15. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like Rebecca's idea, too. I had not thought about damage from the spray - maybe someone else would have feed back on that. The only thing I have to add is I have heard of people covering the front with a fine bridal tulle to protect it , but still be able to see the quilt, before quilting it again. Good Luck with whatever path you decide to take!
    Donna

17. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My husband's cousin found a very old quilt while cleaning out an old farm house. It had some of the same issues. She did the very same thing Rebecca suggested with the backing. Once the backing was secure, she re quilted it were the quilting was loose or gone.
    Finally, washing it in Woollite in the bathtub. Came out very nice. Good Luck. Kathy

19. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post