Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What would you do with a quilt made by your grandmother, but really needs help?

My sister in law had an old family Dresden Plate quilt that she cut up by the blocks, framed the blocks in big picture frames and gave to all six siblings so all could share the quilt. Its currently hanging in my sewing room above my machine.

2. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What would you do with a quilt made by your grandmother, but really needs help?

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
    I would not cut it. I do think it would be fine to add additional quilting to it. Too bad she didn't put a border on it. That would make it easier to add another backing using the pillowcase method of turning it. It would be a shame to cut off points trying to add a new back. The only way I could see adding a new backing is to measure the size of the quilt and add excess. This would be a good time to use 505 basting spray and baste it in place with the spray. Once it was secured to the original backing with the adhesive spray I'd trim all around it leaving an inch all around. Turn it under all the way around pinning in place. Hand stitch with the ladder stitch. Next up would be the additional quilting.

Perhaps someone else will come up with a better way but this would be full proof and worth the effort for such a beautiful quilt. We all know how much time and labor must've gone into making it. I agree that it deserves your respect. In my opinion, cutting it up would not be the way I would go.
    Rebecca, Thank you for this idea.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmhquilter View Post
    My sister in law had an old family Dresden Plate quilt that she cut up by the blocks, framed the blocks in big picture frames and gave to all six siblings so all could share the quilt. Its currently hanging in my sewing room above my machine.
    That too is an idea.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DramaMama View Post
    If you REALLY love the family members that would get a piece of this quilt and you KNOW for CERTAIN that they would LOVE and TREASURE such a gift, I wouldn't hesitate to divide it up.

But if such can't be said, then I would be selfish and keep it to myself ... fixing/repairing as needed.
    Your answer made me smile.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So, I'm thinking you could add a small border around the outside of the quilt, Then get a very thin batting and a new back. Leave the old back in place. Sandwich it and requilt it leaving the original quilting in place. That way, you can always treasure the old stitches and the skill (or lack thereof) of your ancestry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Newbie View Post
    Attachment 130151
    I love this quilt because my grandmother sewed this. It is just barely quilted, though, every 24 inches or so=
    Attachment 130152
    and the back is a scratchy stained fabric that i would like to replace. And I would like to quilt over. Is it possible to take apart a quilt? How does one do that?

Here is another part of the puzzle. I have a large family. Would you ever think, as I am, of cutting into the quilt top and making table runners for many. I like that idea, but it is so daunting to think of finding fabrics that would complement, extend. and I would lose the points on some of her stars. Which would be so disrespectful. Plus it seems sort of bad karma. But also sharing the history with my brothers and sisters and daughters, nieces, nephews.

I would appreciate any suggestions, guidance from you all.

7. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    So, I'm thinking you could add a small border around the outside of the quilt, Then get a very thin batting and a new back. Leave the old back in place. Sandwich it and requilt it leaving the original quilting in place. That way, you can always treasure the old stitches and the skill (or lack thereof) of your ancestry.
    Thanks grammaterry, another idea that I like.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

What a beautiful quilt and a treasure for sure. It is possible to take the quilt apart. You would have to remove your grandma's quilting first, then the binding. I like your idea of sharing this special quilt with your family members. But it does feel disrespectful. I'm not sure that I would be able to do that though - I can be too sentimental at times. What do you think your grandmother would have wanted you to do? Maybe instead of taking the quilt apart you could get some pretty photos of the quilt and give them to your family members in pretty frames?

10. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

How about a color photo of the quilt scanned onto fabric. You could make a pillow for each family member as a keepsake or do some thread painting on it and frame one for each member. I just feel like cutting it up is going to ruin it since you'll lose so many points. If there was a way to open up the seams around each block that would work for separating the blocks. I think that would be way more work and I know I'd be afraid I'd mess it up trying to take it apart.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

12. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing. It got worn out and my mother tossed it in the trash ages ago. It was a red and white, I believe it was cats and it had sashing. Probably assembled by machine, but hand appliqued and quilted.

The only thing now is to learn how to work with individual blocks rather than the whole quilt which seems to be what my grandmother did.

14. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I'm working on a quilt started by my great grandmother and worked on by my grandmother. I inherited just the blocks. I have added sashing and borders from a line of modern 30s reproduction prints. They work together really well. Some of the original black fabrics have totally disintegrated. Where those places are, I'm going to do appliques over the top of them, after tracing the shape onto thin paper. To do that, I bought black batik and washed it a jillion times to get the worn, "old" black fabric look so that the repairs don't stick out like a sore thumb. I've heard of people appliqueing tulle patches over shredded areas, too - but haven't had to do that yet. It's a labor of love. You'll be glad you tackled it, I'm sure.

16. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post