Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Squaring Up

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Squaring Up

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    I'm always sorry when I don't take time to square up my blocks. Maybe it's my relative newness to quilting, but there's always at least a little slice to clean up. I've accepted that, finally, although it frustrated me initially. Now I don't mind the process at all.
    I agree.... Squaring up is just part of the quilting ptocess...one of the steps we often have to stir, in our way to a completed quilt, I don't really mind doing it, either... In fact, it's always nice to see those blocks becoming neat, and ready to go...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm too lazy and too impatient to be squaring up everything. HST's are about the only thing I square up. I use a 1/4" piecing foot and I take my time when I'm cutting. Things don't always fit perfectly but they aren't usually off by much. With some manipulation - a bit of a tug, putting the piece that might be a smidge too long on the bottom so the feed dogs will pull it in and I'm good to go.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

In the few quilts I have made, I have not squared up and it always makes sewing the blocks together a little wonky. I watched a tutorial on squaring up and the person said that if the block is too small, you have to make another block. That is hard to do when you are working with precuts and there is no more fabric on hand! I am trying to improve my technique and will be squaring up in the future. I don't think I will ever be at a level where I would want to enter my quilts in a competition, nor do I aspire to be, so wonky quilts will probably always be with me, no matter what I do. The people I give them too don't critique them and they provide just as much warmth as perfect quilts.
    Nancy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

HA-not me!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think Jenny's advice to "Make it work" is something to take to heart.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

The very first quilt top I put together was a Double Slice using 10" squares. I read somewhere that somebody never squares up her blocks and it always comes out perfect. Well, I didn't, and when I sewed the the pieces together, I had one patch that was too short & I had a nice hole in my quilt top that I didn't see until after it was pin basted together! So believe me, I square up everything now. It just makes all the blocks line up so nicely. Lesson learned!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I square up every quilt block all the time. If I'm making a Rail Fence, or a block that has smaller blocks in it, I square up every step of the way as well as the completed block. It makes matching up those seams so much easier. It's worth the time & effort. It's also easier to square each block as you go, rather than waiting to do them all at once.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
    I think Jenny's advice to "Make it work" is something to take to heart.
    I agree...and in some cases that!'s just what I do... But, I have to admit that lately, I have been more apt to take the time to square up my blocks... But not always... I just finished an Double Sliced I Spy top without squaring up the blocks.... But those pesky HST's? They always get squared up...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

After quilting for 30 years, I had never heard of "squaring them up" til I came here to this forum. I always thought they were supposed to be made square in the first place.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Neller View Post
    In the few quilts I have made, I have not squared up and it always makes sewing the blocks together a little wonky. I watched a tutorial on squaring up and the person said that if the block is too small, you have to make another block. That is hard to do when you are working with precuts and there is no more fabric on hand! I am trying to improve my technique and will be squaring up in the future. I don't think I will ever be at a level where I would want to enter my quilts in a competition, nor do I aspire to be, so wonky quilts will probably always be with me, no matter what I do. The people I give them too don't critique them and they provide just as much warmth as perfect quilts.
    Usually, if one or two blocks are too small, I will trim the others down yo March them... That way, you don't have to make another block...,

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

11. Thanks Wrinkles thanked for this post