Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you store quilts in progress?

I have to say I'm not very organized in that department. Mine are mostly tucked in a plastic bin under my cutting table. Some are resting in baskets. Finished quilts that I haven't gifted yet are rolled and in a long bin under my daughter's bed which has a great deal of height under it.

I really like that idea to use a flannel-backed tablecloth to work on. My sewing room is pretty small. I also have no wall space for a design board. I usually lay out the blocks on the bedroom floor across from my sewing room or on the bed in that room. My friends have a bonus room in their house. When I see it I have major green-eyed envy. I'd love to have a room that large that I could turn into a sewing room.
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; May 4th, 2016 at 01:16 PM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have several containers (plastic clear) of different sizes. I use shoe box or larger flat containers to store the raw blocks or blocks waiting to be put together. I'm working on a queen size quilt now, the largest I have ever done. Since I don't have a dedicated sewing room (sigh), I hang the quilt with clips or over a hanger. I find this quilt (which is to be mine), is difficult to work with on my little machine because of the weight. I just love the way it is turning out though. My next projects are going to be much,much smaller.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

If it's something that I'm still piecing blocks on, I use 12x12 craft boxes. If it's a finished top that needs to be sandwiched and quilted I have a 9 cube thingy and I have about 4 of those cubes taken up with finished flimsies.
    🍄 Heather🍄

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a small space, too. And the table cloth works great.. I also have a large wardrobe that acts as a room divider..the back of it is used as a design wall. It's large enough for a twin/lap size quilt. For smaller projects I have the 12x12 plastic storage boxes to keep everything together til I PUT it together. They stack nicely in the small closet shelves I have. ( Yes, I live in an older home that was remodeled and enlarged..)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the stage of progress of the project. Individual blocks can go into zip lock bags or plastic storage containers. If I have all the blocks made for a quilt, but no blocks sewn together yet, I number the rows & pin the blocks together in order & bag or bin them. If it's a finished quilt top waiting to be quilted, I fold it in 4ths & hang it on a hanger. I have UFOs hanging both in a closet as well as on one of those over-the-door brackets. I have various fabric lines sorted into separate plastic shoe boxes or plastic bins. E.g., the Little Ark fabrics, of which I've already made 5 baby quilts, are in a shoe box. I have enough fabric for more quilts. I'll eventually get back to that fabric line. I also have Kaffe Fassett blocks in a box. I have 2 sets of Square in a Square blocks waiting to be sewn together. I made those with charms & JR strips, plus 1.5" contrasting strips I cut from fabric. Usually the project I leave out on the table is the current one on which I'm working. I do have one UFO that has blocks & pieces stuck on the flannel backing of a table cloth. It's folded over & set aside. I think it depends on how much sewing room/storage space one has as to what works.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Wrap the bottom part of a clothes hanger in batting a couple times. Then fold the top just in one direction and hang it over the batting. There shouldn't be enough tension created with just the top to cause distorting or loose seams.
    Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

I store all fabrics going together in a quilt in 2 gallon freezer bags. When the top is pieced and waiting for borders it goes back into the bag with the cut borders, binding, and backer fabric. I just find it is easier to have it all together. When the top is completed, it stays in the bag with the backer fabric and binding until quilted. I write the pattern, and size when top is completed, on the bag or on a tag inside the bag. Then when it comes time to sandwich for quilting, I know what size I need to cut my batting.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchin'fix View Post
    Thank you all for your quick responses!

Great storage ideas..... Will definitely be trying some of them!

The big issue for me is after the top is together (waiting for borders or waiting to be sandwiches and quilted). Once I have a piece that large there is almost nowhere to store it short of hanging it on a wall. I worry with hanging or draping that it will distort the seams etc (I work very long shifts so there are after 6-7 day gaps between quilting sessions)

Thanks
    For those tops waiting to be sandwiched and quilted I iron them and then fold onto a wooden hangar and let it drape down. That way there aren't too many folds, no other quilt is weighing it down and they are easy to see. When I get backing, I do the same thing and hang it next to the quilt it is intended for. I make the binding and roll it onto a toilet paper tube and put it into a ziplock bag. I hang the ziplock on the coat hangar too. Puch a hole near the top and it will be easy to slip over the hook.

Now everything is together and waiting on me! lol