Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you store quilts in progress?

Hi guys!

I was wondering how everyone is storing their quilt projects while they are in progress! My home is quite small, and it is getting very difficult to find a place to lay my quilt while I work (first time I'm quilting something larger than a twin size quilt) there literally is not any floor space large enough to lay out a queen size quilt..... Any other creative ideas? Getting frustrated quick!
    Thanks in advance!!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you store quilts in progress?

There was an idea a while back that one person on here stored her blocks in a pizza box. I use a shoe box for smaller stuff, then the block usually get stacked until I am ready to put them together. Do you have a wall that you could make a design wall? A flannel sheet on a curtain rod that can be taken down if needed?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I like using the 12x12 art bin storage boxes. I think they are designed for scrapbooking but they are the perfect size for storing a WIP and keeping everything together. Do you have a wall the can be a temporary design wall?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I lay the ones waiting for borders on an unused bed. Sometimes they're stacked 3 high. (Borders are my least favorite part of quilting.) I also have a few tops waiting to be quilted that have been pressed and hung with those pants hangers that have clips. (I never turn them down when the clerk asks if I want the hanger.)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a sewing room so I can leave my WIPs laying out. But, I don't have room for even a temporary design wall, so I use our bed to lay out blocks and rows. I always take a picture with my digital camera to show me my mistakes. It works for me. As Jenny always says, "Make it work."
    Last edited by Bubby; May 3rd, 2016 at 05:30 PM.

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

My DH made an 8' x 8' table for me that I use for my WIPs. It is large enough that I can lay out the blocks and rows. I have even been known to climb on it when arranging my blocks.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean while you are still putting your blocks together? I have a sewing room and space for a card table, desk, and waist high cutting table. I have a large 31 Tote next to my cutting table and if I am using, say fat quarters, I will keep them in there after my initial cut in case I need to cut anything else before I actually put it away. The tote is what I call my put-away pile. For larger pieces I have a quilt rack in my sewing room and drape large pieces on that after they are ironed, in hopes they won't need to be ironed a second time. If I am finished with a quilt but am in the quilting stage (I hand quilt) I have a large antique wicker laundry basket next to my chair in the LR where I quilt. So now that you know my entire layout you are welcome to come over to my house any time and work on my Quilts. Now that you know where everything is.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple of Art Bins that hold pieces and blocks very well.

But it you have it set out and want to keep the layout, try a tablecloth that is backed with flannel. They are pretty cheap to buy.
    Lay the table cloth on the floor/bed with the vinyl side down, flannel up. Lay out your blocks and sew. When you need to store it away, roll up the table cloth with the blocks inside. Easy! And it keeps your layout intact. The next time you work on that quilt, unroll and get to working. Everything is still in it's place. I've got a couple PHD's rolled in a table cloth. They travel really well too.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your quick responses!

Great storage ideas..... Will definitely be trying some of them!

The big issue for me is after the top is together (waiting for borders or waiting to be sandwiches and quilted). Once I have a piece that large there is almost nowhere to store it short of hanging it on a wall. I worry with hanging or draping that it will distort the seams etc (I work very long shifts so there are after 6-7 day gaps between quilting sessions)

Thanks

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I lay mine out on my husband's bed. Of course, they must be moved before he gets in!

Thanks for the idea about the tablecloth. I think I will get one of those. It would be easier to just roll up the project than to stack the rows and hope I remember!
    The trail is the thing----Louis L'Amour