Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do I connect embroidered QAYG squares?

I have embroidered large squares with dragonflies and did not attach the backing piece to it because the stitching would have been very dense on the back. I now want to attach the pieces together, but how do I do this? Would stitching in the ditch be enough to hold the pieces firmly together? I really wasn't wanting to sash them either. My brains muddled at the moment so I hope this makes sense!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do I connect embroidered QAYG squares?

You can sew the squares together just like you would do a quilt, then sandwich your top, batting and backing, together. Depending on how big the squares are you may be able to stitch in the ditch. If they are overly large you may need additional quilting. I did my embroidered Baltimore Album as I described as it worked well. There is a picture of it in my album if you'd like to take a look.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

3. Thanks KelNC thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A photo of one of the blocks would be great! How many embroidered blocks do you have? How big of project do you want it to be?

You have options....yes, you can sash them or not (it will depend on how wide of sashing you would consider). Yes, stitching in the ditch will hold the blocks to the batting/back just fine.
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

5. Thanks KelNC thanked for this post
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Cathy, would this work if even with the batting attached to the square? They are each about 15 inches, but I can make them a bit smaller if I need. I tried to upload the file, but I am having "user error" issues at the moment. Thank you for LMK that stitching in the ditch would work. I wasn't too sure if it would be enough to hold them in place.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a thin piece of batting and stabilizer on the back of my Baltimore squares. , you can trim the batting close to the seam line to eliminate some of the bulk. Not sure if stitch in the ditch would be enough for that size square. It would depend if you are using it as a quilt( then I think it may need more) or as a wall hanging which would be fine.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have sewn blocks together that were backed by batting then trimmed like mentioned I have also sewn them in rows then starting on one side of the backing sewn two rows together directly to the backing then pressed out the second row attached another row and so on till it was quilted to the back and sewn together to the background. I had to pin a lot and there was a little bulk at the seam. A friend suggested just serging my rows together so all bulk is trimmed off then quilting to the back next time. Haven't tried the serger yet but I am told it works pretty well.
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

As long as there is embroidery going through the batting at the required intervals, then you can just sew the QAYG squares together and attach the backing by stitching in the ditch.

My only concern would be if there are large areas of batting that did not have any embroidery on it, you might have issues with the batting and washing. Your batting is already there, correct?

I can't add a link from this computer I am currently working on but if you go to a website called Shiny Happy People, she has a bunch of videos on QAYG and one of them shows how to join up blocks. I am currently doing 15 1/2 inch blocks QAGY and I am simply joining them together and then will attach the back by stitching in the ditch.
    Debbie

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Piece the blocks to make the quilt top.
    Same as any other blocks for a quilt top.
    Sandwich with batting and backing as any quilt.
    Quilt.

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Since my batting is already attached to the embroidered square, I am thinking that I will have to do light quilting in other squares to help stabilize the entire quilt. Thank you all soooo much for your help! Y'all are the greatest!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_qyb7XxY4k

Queen of stitching. She sells embroidered QAYG patterns. There's 4 of these and they are the only videos I've been able to sit through so far.