Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default paper piecing fans?

Hello ladies and possibly gents... I am NOT CONFIDENT in my skill set enough to try applique yet, so I thought I'd try to paper-piece a fan quilt similar to ones that my dad's mom made for my sister and I when we were kids, but shockingly (to me, anyway) I can't find any patterns to go by. It seems like that would be a pretty good candidate for a paper piecing pattern, even if you kept the quarter circle at the base. Have any of you guys seen something similar to what I am talking about, or do you think I might have to try my hand at pattern making? lol Thanks in advance all!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: paper piecing fans?

Fan quilts are usually made with the Dresden template. The ones I have seen use a 1/4 of a Dresden and applique it on to a square of fabric in the corner.

I don't think you need a paper pieced pattern to do it. If you have a Dresden template... You can make a fan quilt pretty easily.

If you want to make something cute and simple that uses the Dresden... try Jenny's Flower Pot quilt! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl8aXceggwU

It's made with the same method as a Dresden Fan is made.

3. Thanks draeneichick thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

The curves kind of scare me a little, truth be told, so I figured it would be easier and quicker to use a paper piecing method. I've made nearly a dozen quilts so far but generally they've all been SUPER simple; squares, patches, bricks, chevrons out of triangles, middle panels with lovely framing fabrics... Stuff like that. So to attempt a fan pattern kind of makes me hesitant but that's what my sister is asking me for.

Also, you mentioned Dresden Fan. Is that the actual name of the pattern? Grandma's Fan is what we've called it, since that's what our grandma called it! LOL Calling it the wrong name might be why I wasn't finding much in the way of what I was looking for!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Curves aren't hard if you find the right method. If you want to make the round ones instead of pointed you can do this.

Curved Edge Dresden Plate How To - Bari J..)

Paper piecing curves is going to be a hot mess. Applique is is easy and fun if you do a little practice.

Lorie

6. Thanks draeneichick thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was amazed at how fun and easy a Dresden Plate goes together using Jenny's tutorial. Make a practice fan (1/4 plate) and you'll be hooked!

8. Thanks draeneichick thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Grandmother's Fan

here is a pattern, but not paper pieced

I am back. I was on Pinterest and saw a link for a blog about paper piecing a friendship fan. In the blog post she has a link to her pattern available for a free download. You might like it.
    http://nancycabotsewalong.blogspot.c...ilt-block.html
    Last edited by K. McEuen; April 29th, 2016 at 09:46 PM.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

10. Thanks draeneichick thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

{Paper Pieced} Cheat's Dresden Pattern PDF - Shop - Sew What, Sherlock?
    I think I found what you are looking for. I even downloaded it first to check that there are no viruses or anything weird associated with the freebie. Looks like it would be easy enough to do this way. I can paper piece alot faster than I can cut a template.
    If you don't ask, you don't get. Ghandi

Toni

12. Thanks draeneichick thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sleepydiver View Post
    {Paper Pieced} Cheat's Dresden Pattern PDF - Shop - Sew What, Sherlock?
    I think I found what you are looking for. I even downloaded it first to check that there are no viruses or anything weird associated with the freebie. Looks like it would be easy enough to do this way. I can paper piece alot faster than I can cut a template.
    Yes, yes more yes! That looks along the lines of exactly what I was thinking! Thank you to all of you who replied!!

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's one that's actually a fan. I'd use this pattern. Scroll until you get to the pattern. http://www.amc-quilts.com/uploads/16...mothersFan.pdf

If you're not confident in sewing curved seams you could just sew the paper-pieced part of the fan onto a square and then use the interfacing method to make the little partial circle. Just cut the circle out of one of your printed copies and add a seam allowance to that partial circle piece. I hope that's clear.

The one Toni posted would work. You could just use a 1/4 of the pattern to make a fan. http://www.sewwhatsherlock.com/shop/...heats-dresden/
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; May 3rd, 2016 at 11:27 PM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.