Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Tale of Woe (to put it lightly) and several finished quilts...

It's been about eight months since I've last posted, so much has happened since. In August, we moved back to our hometown in Wisconsin after thirteen years (ten in San Diego and three in Japan). Six weeks before we got back, my sister was diagnosed with a brain tumor (GBM4) three days before her 50th birthday. She passed away March 17th. I am so fortunate to have had those last seven months with her and would hate to think if my husband's military orders had brought us anywhere else, this however, is not what we had planned. We knew we were coming home before she got sick. We even picked a house a half-mile from her work and four miles from her home. And now I don't have her.

Also, my father passed away in January 22nd. He had been in a nursing home since 2008 after suffering a stroke. He was miserable and am glad he is now in a better place. I wasn't able to see him at all the three years we were in Japan. I'm glad I got to visit, albeit, short trips. I brought him lots of homemade cookies that I could tell he really enjoyed.

It just sucks. It's like I came home only to bury half my family.

Here's what I've been doing to keep my mind occupied...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1633.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	204.6 KB 
ID:	129819 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1971.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	129821 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1977.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	129822 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2037.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	129823 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1939.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	191.6 KB 
ID:	129824
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1935.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	129820  

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A Tale of Woe (to put it lightly) and several finished quilts...

Dear Tricia, So sorry for your losses. So sad that your plans didn't turn out the way you wanted. Your quilts are magnificent. It's easy to tell that you put a lot of feeling into them. Hope making them gave you some comfort. Hugs and prayers.Kathy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My condolences on your loss. Being a military retiree myself I know the stress caused by not being able to be with loved ones when they are ill. And now you have gotten a double dose of heartbreak. I feel for you and truly understand. Steve & I were with his sister for several months after she was diagnosed with terminal cancer. It takes time to recover from the emotional trauma ... and sometimes you think it will never end.

But quilting is the best therapy I know. You have created some beauties! I'm envious of your talent ... and look forward to seeing more. Welcome back.

5. Thanks Tricia thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry about your losses. My DH was in the NAVY for 20+ years and we had to miss several funerals during that time, it is hard on military families.
    Your quilts are beautiful, it is good to have something so rewarding to work on.
    Welcome back, from Wisconsin!
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

7. Thanks Tricia thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Tricia so sorry for all your losses this year. One is difficult enough but two, especially your sister is more than difficult. My heart hurts for you. I pray you will eventually come to peace of heart and mind. God has gifted us with memories, both good and not so good, but this gift helps us keep our loved ones near. Your quilts are beautiful.

9. Thanks Tricia thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry for your losses. Your quilts are beautiful.

11. Thanks Tricia thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hope it gave you comfort to create such beautiful quilts in the midst of your trouble and sorrow. How bittersweet that your plans to return home were only just in time to say goodbye to your father and sis. I'm so sorry for your loss.

13. Thanks Tricia thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Tricia I am so sorry for your loss. My brother passed away suddenly last year and it certainly does take a toll. It's so sad that you thought you were coming back to be near family and instead they are gone. My heart goes out to you.

Your quilts are lovely and I hope they give you some comfort. My sister and I are are planning to do a memory quilt with photos of flowers that my brother had taken, but it is hard to get started. It tears the scabs off the wounds.

God bless.
    Nancy

15. Thanks Tricia thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Your quilts are beautiful and fresh. I am sure they will be enjoyed. I am so sorry to hear about your sister and your Dad. I can see only one good thing and that is that your father did not have to experience losing his child. That would have made it even worse. 50 is a child to me since my boys are 46 and 44. Just way too young. Sorry
    my goal is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am

17. Thanks Tricia thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Tricia, I've missed you and I'm so sorry for the loss of your Dad and Sister. Having walked in your shoes I offer prayers and heartfelt condolences. Quilting is wonderful for occupying your mind and helping a heart heal. (((HUGS)))

19. Thanks Tricia thanked for this post