Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: quilt looked better in my imagination than in real life

I think it's pretty and would be great for a child. Another option is you could use it as a back for another quilt. I think we've all made those quilts that we look at when they are done and then think what was I thinking? But then we quilters are always our own worst critics aren't we? I'm sure the knowledge you gained by learning what works for you and what doesn't will be a big help to you in your future quilts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm on second thought if it was mine I would remove the border halfway and take out the center blocks at the bottom, I think they are a little too busy--and play around with creating a black and white panel that would be that size, then put your border back on. Let us know what you decide!

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

At this stage, you hate it and don't want to finish it. That means it will probably go into a bin and never be seen again. My advice is to finish it up and donate it. And yes, I've had some that had problems, enough so that I couldn't gift them. Not so much the design of the quilts but some other issue such as bleeding after being washed. That type of thing. Off to charity they went. No point in holding on to things we make that we don't feel were successful. Also, if you're in need of practicing FMQ this would be a good one to practice on before you donate it.

Another option is to reconfigure it. I know that block has a name. You could google it and click on images to see how others have used those blocks in quilts. For me, the cross blocks could be made into a baby quilt. I'd save those large panels of the print for something else.

If you think it's too daunting to rip it apart use a razor blade to cut the stitches. Just be careful that you touch the blade to the stitches only. This is the fastest way to unsew a project. Learned that from a gal who runs a costume shop.
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; April 30th, 2016 at 01:54 PM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Those. Are honest useful. Suuggestions.UOTE=rebeccas-sewing;871804]At this stage, you hate it and don't want to finish it. That means it will probably go into a bin and never be seen again. Mye is to finish it up and donate it. And yes, I've had some that had problems, enough so that I couldn't gift them. Not so much the design of the quilts but some other issue such as bleeding after being washed. That type of thing. Off to charity they went. No point in holding on to things we make that we don't feel were successful. Also, if you're in need of practicing FMQ this would be a good one to practice on before you donate it.

Another option is to reconfigure it. I know that block has a name. You could google it and click on images to see how others have used those blocks in quilts. For me, the cross blocks could be made into a baby quilt. I'd save those large panels of the print for something else.

If you think it's too daunting to rip it apart use a razor blade to cut the stitches. Just be careful that you touch the blade to the stitches only. This is the fastest way to unsew a project. Learned that from a gal who runs a costume shop.[/QUOTE]

Those

5. Thanks macklin thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, more than once and I haven't finished them either. This is a nice bright quilt and I'm sure it will be loved.
    Carolyn

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have had my "vision" turn on me many times. I get a picture in my mind and when the real thing doesn't match my picture I am unhappy.
    Don't get discouraged. Your quilt is full of happy colors and is a great quilt whether it matches the vision you had or not.
    Tortugaquilter

8. Thanks macklin thanked for this post