Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: quilt looked better in my imagination than in real life

I think every quilter at one time or another has felt their quilt looked better in their mind. I know I've been down that road a few times. I hope you'll finish it and then perhaps if you still don't care for it perhaps you can gift it and consider it one Christmas gift completed way ahead of time!
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yep.... I just finished a small quukt top that was better in my head than in reality.... It happens to just about everyone...

I do, however, love the gorgeous colors you put in your quilt.... Color is my fav thing...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I have had that happen, too. Made a quilt in yellow and brown and just hated it when completed. I sold it on Etsy -- good riddance -- to a shop in Australia who probably sold it to someone who LOVES it!!! You just never know. I love the colors -- very bright and pretty and you did an amazing job. Keep going girl, you got this!!!

4. Thanks Blue Pig Giggles thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yep.. that could be a thread all on it's own. "Quilts that made me cringe"... I have one. We all have one.

Yours isn't that bad. It looks like a kids quilt. Plenty of color. The one I have... is on a shelf I can't even bring myself to unfold it. LOL.

It's shameful.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I know just what you mean. I am working on table runners now and I keep pulling out the seam ripper and changing and changing

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like your quilt. I think it would be a great quilt for a child....the primary colors are awesome !
    I think we all go thru stages when we make things such as quilts, clothing, tote bags, etc. that we don't like. A friend of mine asked me a few years ago to make her some pillowcases. She purchase the fabric,and when they were finished, she didn't like them. I really didn't want to tell her that I didn't like them either, but it happens I suppose more than we realize.

Maybe donating this quilt that you don't care for to a charity would be a good thing to do ?

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

No, no I think your quilt can be rescued!! You need to tame it down with something black and white, a narrow stripe, a medium print or newsprint fabric. Either use it for adding another row at the top and the bottom or a border around the outside. You would be surprised how well b+w enhances bright colors and is the "missing link" here.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like it a lot. Of course we all have made a quilt that didn't work out the way we thought it would. I was sewing one for the Shriners Quilt raffle (see my user notes) and my daughter was visiting me and I was making an ugly comment about it and my daughter said, "stop hating on that poor quilt" and I stopped and thought about it. The quilt turned out fine. Not my favorite , but people who are looking at it for the raffle are oohing and ahhing. I think the more colorful the quilt, the more people e really enjoy them. Yours has lots of color and it is happy. Find joy.
    Quote Originally Posted by macklin View Post
    Finished this quilt top last night, and I'm really not happy with it. It was a great idea in my head, but then when it all went together, it just didn't work. Has that ever happened to anyone? This is the first thing I've made that I haven't been happy with. I'm pretty new to quilting, so I guess I just don't have a good quilters vision yet.

Attachment 129815

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It happens. I would finish it as everyone has suggested and see how you like it then. If you still aren't happy with it, what about some applique on the printed areas - done in the solid colors or black and white. You can use simple patterns from clip art or a coloring book - that might give it the look you are after? There are lots of ideas for appliques on quilts on pinterest.
    Last edited by dwil23; April 30th, 2016 at 07:49 AM.
    Donna

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Ah.... The planning of the quilt. I think designing a quilt has its problems when you are new to designing your own. I like how your quilt turned out. Sometimes drawing or sketching it out first does help. When I was newer to the craft, I would not plan one all at once. I would figure out the block, then decide if iI wanted to go scrappy or with yardage. At that point I would go buy the fabric and concentrate on making each individual block. Then I would either make my goal of a large quantity, or decide I am sick of doing this block. I would then go back to design mode and lay the quilt blocks out and decide on sashing, borders, and backing, and any pattern that may happen with that decision. Now with precuts, fabric selection is a whole lot easier. But I think writing it down and sketching it out is best. You will find the more you rehearse quilt design, the better you will become at it matching what is in your head. This is the part of quilting I hated. Before the Internet it was so frustrating buying cloth, not being able to find that perfect piece. Thank goodness for the internet programs, as well as a huge fabric selection. It helps so much. Happy quilting and keep up the good work!