Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WIP - 4/26/16 - Last week in April!

Quote Originally Posted by gshannon1008 View Post
    It is a blessing to have wonderful thoughtful neighbors. For 20+ years I have been so blessed and wanted to let them know. So here is my thanks...Waltzing in the Garden. Modified from the Tennessee Waltz pattern. I love the star blocks.
    Attachment 129749Attachment 129750
    Beautiful quilt. I love teh colors.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My Grandma, Pearl, and Mom. Ruby, sewed on a Singer Treadle........My Mom sewed our clothes, my dance costumes (I took lessons til I I was eleven and found out it was really putting a strain on family budget and then I said, "I don't want to take them anymore") I even got to take a few "pushes of the treadle" to show me what it felt like. I have loved sewing ever since. Sew many times my sewing/quilting has been my salvation! I love to start AND finish whatever I have created with fabric.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Denise, I love your blocks and the bird- their colors match! I wish we could have such pretty birds up here.
    As for me, I've done my binge sewing and am caught up on my 365 blocks! Yippy! I also was offered to have a friend quilt my donation quilt, and she will bind it for me, for free no,less! She said that is her part of giving to the donation quilt from our guild . I'm so thrilled , it's like the sewing fairies are smiling on me .��

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I've been downloading the block patterns for the 365 challenge, but I haven't begun sewing them yet. Perhaps that is something I'll get to on my summer break.

The students will not be at school tomorrow, and we have a full schedule of planning for the upcoming year. Next week will be five quick days with the students, and thankfully practically all of my grading is already complete. That means I may get some significant sewing time in the evenings.

In the meantime, i am looking forward to tomorrow evening when I can settle down with my Janome and put the borders on my Allietare quilt. If I get that done, I can take it to a quilter on Saturday. At this point, I need to confess that I am quite challenged with time estimation. The task of attaching two simple borders will take much more time than I think - for several reasons. One of those being that I can't seem to leave things simple. I'm pondering how to make one of those borders a pieced border out of two different fabrics because I don't have enough of the one that I really want to use. If I'm going to piece the border, I need to figure out what size to cut the pieces. Right now my brain needs some sleep, so I will do those calculations tomorrow. I can tell that I'm going to be distracted during my workshop at school tomorrow.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm finally sitting down to an afternoon locked in my sewing room... I love my kids but the constant noise and activity is driving me to my wit's end today!! LOL!!

We're all exhausted as they just didn't go to bed early enough.... but I'm glad that after having a full day out on his own yesterday my husband was completely okay with my declaration of a lock-in this afternoon! I have a runner I want to put binding on, a shirt I want to finish making for myself, and I have some small mug rugs to quilt, AND I have some fabric to cut up for my next project, which is a quilt for my niece!

So... we'll see what I accomplish in the next few hours, if they truly go uninterrupted and I can stay focused, it could be a very productive day! Off this computer I go!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

repaired my binding AND made my tank top!! YAY!!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I pieced the border for the Allietare project, but I didn't get it attached to the quilt. I ended up away from home all day Saturday, and I will be away from home for most of this afternoon. I will get as much done with the borders as I can, because I don't know how much sewing I will get done during the last week of school. This may have to wait until Friday to finish.

RockinLou-Congratulations on the finished projects. Glad you were able to have a lock-in.

Sharon-I, too, enjoy starting and finishing project, but my sewing room suggests that I enjoy starting more than finishing.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Splinter- I am so jealous that you are in the last week of school, we have 6 more to go! However, today (Monday May 2) we have a day off for a national holiday, and next week we have Monday and Tuesday off again, that's two more holidays. This time last year I was wishing we didn't have all these holidays, that we would just end a week earlier in June, but as they are government mandated holidays we don't have much choice. We also start back on August 27 this year, so that is nice too... a longer summer than last year by a full week. Anyway, I keep trudging along until June 17, but most grades are due by the 12th, and we start to loose students one by one between now and then, so it's a crazy long-winded wind-down in these international schools.

today is a holiday, but i'm heading over to work for the day anyway, get past this latest clump of grading that needs to be done and finalize my lesson plans. I have 2 un-planned-for units left for the entire year... so having lesson planning behind me, grades caught up, and my student narratives written will really help to ease stress for the rest of the year. Less stress means more sewing time ;-)

I'm already making my sewing projects list for the summer.... it is long!! LOL!!

AS for starting and finishing projects, I'm one of those rare cases who does not like to have too many logs on the fire. I tend to have 2 or 3 things going at once, but rarely more than that. Right now I have a knit top I made that requires some top stitching, some mug rugs that require binding and a table runner that I'm hand stitching the binding down on, that's about what I can manage, I've also pulled fabric to press (when I press that binding for the mug rugs and the seams that need top stitching on the shirt) and I will cut the fabric this week so that hopefully next weekend I can put together a quilt top for my niece who will be making her First Communion. I never got to making baby quilts for these 2 little nieces who are receiving their communion this weekend, so I'm going to give them both quilts this summer when I see them. This also buys me about 4 more years to make my last niece a quilt ;-)

happy stitching from Kazakhstan! It's 9:30 am here, I'm hoping to rejoin my sewing room by dinner time...

That all doesn't account for my always-in-progress paper piecing ....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

4 columns done on the Lights on Broadway jelly roll quilt.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lights 002.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	129925
    Here is a picture of a wild turkey that has been frequenting the neighborhood. One day there were also two hen turkeys and we laughed at the turkey strutting his stuff for the ladies.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turkey 004.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	129924
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lights 001.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	129923  
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your quilt is lovely and coming along nicely. How large is it going to be?. Kathy