Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Suggestions needed, my opened jelly rolls look like spaghetti

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaSandy View Post
    Where did you get this and how much and how much do they hold? They look great.
    Amazon.com: ArtBin Fabric Strip Case- Clear Quilting/ Sewing Supply Storage Container, 6999AB
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

You can order the ArtBins online. I bought some at Green Fairy quilts, but I've seen them online at Joann's and on Amazon. Prices vary so shop around. They fit about two jelly rolls per container. That's an estimate......I use them to store extras.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I roll mine by color, pin a piece of paper on the roll telling me how many strips are in the roll, and then I stack the rolls in a fabric bin that fits on my shelving unit.
    Tortugaquilter

4. Thanks misstrixella, Muriel thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have the ArtBins container, too. I bought mine from Amazon but have also seen it at Nancy's Notions. They hold way more than one jelly roll.

I just counted and I have 84 strips in mine and could probably get at least 12 more in it.
    Rescued is my favorite breed.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

After school started one year I shopped in the school supply isle and bought a plastic 3 drawer unit and fold my jelly roll strips separate - fold in half then half again then stack them by color. I have been in a lot of swaps so this works for me. The ones bought together I keep together.
    Vonnie

7. Thanks misstrixella thanked for this post
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

If I didn't have cats, I would want to use one these folding clothes racks for hanging the strips on. I just think it would be perfect....not my idea but where I saw it is beyond my memory.

I do have some strips cut and stored in just little plastic totes that one gets at walmart. It is about 3 inches deep, 9 or 10 inches wide and 15 inches long.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaSandy View Post
    I also use zip locks to store them easy and you can see what you have to work with. Maybe at night when you are watching TV you can sit down and untangle the mess lol good luck lol
    I try to keep collections together, but I use quart or gallon zip lock bags. I have a stack of large plastic drawers the I have them stored in, plus my stash of coordinates that I use for purses, wallets and small quilts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judy, USMC View Post
    I use baggies - not the zip lock but the fold over sandwich size. The plastic is thin - about the same as when you get yardage from M*. It's been said not to store fabric in plastic but I haven't encountered any problems and some strips have been stored (in a cardboard shoebox to protect from fading) this way for 4 years.
    I use plastic, too, ziplocs, even, but I think the real problem with plastic is humidity. My friend inherited a huge stash from a relative and it was all stored neatly away in ziploc type bags and quite a bit of the fabric had mold stains and smelled musty. Since that time, I always leave at least 2 inches of the ziplocs not closed. Since you are using the fold over type, I think yours will be okay. I am sure this is more of a problem in humid climates, like Florida!
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My opened JRs are sorted by fabric line. I carefully fold them in 4ths in a plastic shoe box. Lids keep them dust-free & you can see through the box to determine what's in it. Or you can label the box. The shoe boxes easily stack on a shelf.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mine are in zips but after reading this thread I thought of those plastic honeycomb units that you put in a drawer to hold individual pairs of socks. If I had more drawer space I would do that. Or I might take out a plastic drawer unit from my storage and see if they would fit in there. Then I could just look down on all my nicely rolled little jelly rolls. You can get the sock holders at Amazon and I believe BB&B.