Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default One Block Wonder, please help!

I'd love to try a one block wonder quilt, and I'm having a frustrating time finding the right fabric to use. Have you made one? If you have, would you be able to tell the fabric you picked? A picture of it would be awesome. I've Googled and checked on Pinterest, but the fabrics that have been used on the ones I like aren't available any more.

Thanks so much for any help. I really appreciate any suggestions.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: One Block Wonder, please help!

If you could let us know which ones you liked it would be a big help.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have made three. The key is finding fabric that preferably repeats every 24 inches, not every 12 inches. This is the first one I made along with a picture of the original fabric.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1365.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	129604Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	129605

4. Thanks tis55 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

If you have an iPhone or iPad there is a free app called Kaleidoscope that will help you audition fabric before purchasing. Simply lay the fabric out, touch the app and it will show you the different possibilities. Also if you're a Facebook user, there is a free group you can join called One Block Wonder ... It's also a great resource. There are ways to get around the 24 inch repeat ... Cutting your strips a little smaller or moving your ruler over a bit before you cut the next strip. Hope this helps
    Sherrie

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

This is not the best picture, but this is my One Block Wonder. This was a group project with my mom and two sisters. We each selected a fabric and made the blocks before our quilting retreat. At the retreat, we exchanged the blocks. The pieces near the center show what the different fabrics looked like before we cut them up. They are each about the size of a piece of copy paper. The fabrics with the larger flowers (farthest from the camera) gave more variety in the blocks. I like the blocks from the autumn floral fabric. The best tip I had while searching for fabric was to pick a large print but pay more attention to the colors than the print.

Name:	IMG_1520.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	129631
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1270.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	200.8 KB 
ID:	129620  

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
    This is not the best picture, but this is my One Block Wonder. This was a group project with my mom and two sisters. We each selected a fabric and made the blocks before our quilting retreat. At the retreat, we exchanged the blocks. The pieces near the center show what the different fabrics looked like before we cut them up. They are each about the size of a piece of copy paper. The fabrics with the larger flowers (farthest from the camera) gave more variety in the blocks. I like the blocks from the autumn floral fabric. The best tip I had while searching for fabric was to pick a large print but pay more attention to the colors than the print.

Name:	IMG_1520.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	129631
    Very beautiful. I have tried this quilt 3 times with no success because I picked wrong fabrics.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

I have made a hexagon quilt and used many different fat quarters for making the grandmothers flower garden. After I finished that sucker, I vowed never to do a one block wonder again. That didn't last. I also did a tumbler quilt which went together very quickly. Currently I am working on an apple core. I like the expertise I have to make myself use when sewing those curves. The apple core is definately a challenge. One block wonders are great scrap quilts. But you could also buy a layer cake and have fun with all the coordinating fabrics within the pack. I say have fun with it whatever you decide.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to help me choose a fabric to try a One Block Wonder quilt. I really appreciate it, and it's going to help me so much.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A large floral type print with 3-5 colors work well. Some fairly ugly fabric can create great kaleidoscopes. You must stay organized when you cut these. Good luck!
    Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.