Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Machine choice, babylock opinions?

hello!

Product question! I currently have a Pfaff smarter 260C and it's great for every day sewing, piecing etc. I've even free-motioned three quilts on it (full and twin size) but it's difficult given the short arm. I'm considering trading in my Pfaff for a Babylock but would love some expert opinions on them as I'm fairly new to this. Ideally I'd love to have a machine for the piecing and then a mid-arm to do the quilting on--I looked at the Babylock Tiara and fell in love but unfortunately that is completely out of my current price range does anyone have any good recommendations for a machine that could function both as general sewing machine but also be a little easier to do free motion on that is a reasonable price (under $1000?) I really like what I've read about babylock but can't seem to find consistent pricing.

thanks so much for your recommendations!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Machine choice, babylock opinions?

Juki 2010Q. If you can find a local dealer go and test drive.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

3. Thanks lailaish thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on how much throat space you want, the price goes up exponentially. 10" and up gets you into more than your $1,000 budget.

As for Babylock prices, they're very hard to find, if not impossible to find online. Not sure why.

Good luck.

5. Thanks lailaish thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Keep the machine you have to use as a backup, if you can. I also would recommend the Juki2010. I got mine for just under $1000 and have never looked back. It has only a straight stitch, nothing fancy, but it's a great machine! The gal who taught me fmq pieces and quilts all her quilts on hers and she has won grand champion at the large fair here several times. It is a mechanical machine, and as long as you keep it cleaned and oiled, you'll have no problems.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

7. Thanks lailaish thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I also would recommend Juki, basically all of them work great and have low maintenance

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I kept my pfaff and also bought the babylock jane and use her just for FMQ or heavy sewing. Similar to the Juki which I almost bought it came down to feel when I tried them both out. Both the Jane and the Juki in my area sell for between 899 and 999 depending on which one is on sale. See what your dealers have in your area take some basic quilt sandwiches down and really test drive them its the best way to check which one works best for you.
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Love my Babylocks....have the Enlighten Serger, the Ellisimo Embroidery/sewing machine, and the Elizabeth. All of them are wonderful. Never have sewn on a Juki, read lots about them on the Forum, but not having anything to compare to, except the Bernina and Kenmore I used to have, I'm sold on Babylocks.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

You might also look at the Skyline series from Janome. They have 3 models, the S3 retails for right at 999.00. Harp size is 8 1/2 inches and its tall so you can get a lot of quilt in there. Just another model to consider. Good luck!
    Sherrie

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Babylock Rachel. It was what I could afford. I believe I paid around $450 with a teacher discount thrown in. I absolutely love it. It's nothing fancy, but you can do a bit of free motion on it. I use mine exclusively for piecing. The stitching is just as good as the more expensive Pfaff machines that my local quilt shop sells.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Pfaff girl so I say keep the Pfaff as a backup and just buy a new Pfaff with a bigger throat!
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud