Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Question Question regarding silk thread

If I hand applique using silk thread can I machine wash my finished quilt? (Needle turn applique.) Until now I have always used cotton embroidery thread but I really like the way silk thread can bury itself better and be less noticeable. Ty

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question regarding silk thread

I've read that silk thread is washable (on gentle, no bleach).

3. Thanks MZQuiltz thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
    I've read that silk thread is washable (on gentle, no bleach).
    Ugh, thats not good as my washing machine doesn't have a gentle cycle. (Who knew I had to check for a gentle cycle before buying a washing machine!!!) In fact it seems to have a normal, and a destruct cycle, lol.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Silk thread can be washed, just use cool/cold water.

6. Thanks MZQuiltz thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I use silk thread for hand stitching all my binding and those quilts get thrown in the washer. I always wash my quilts in cool water wth quilt soap.

8. Thanks MZQuiltz thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, sounds safe to start a collection of silk threads! Much appreciated!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I have always used silk thread for my bindings, but a good friend just told me about a thread line called "Wonderfil" that has several different weights. She recommended using their "Invisi-Fil" instead of silk. It is, according to the description on the website "silk-like 100wt, 2-ply cottonized polyester. This ultra-fine but surprisingly strong thread has cotton-like characteristics and negligible stretch while also feeling soft in the hand. InvisaFil makes for super low bulk stitches and virtually “disappears”, making it the ultimate choice for English paper piecing, delicate lace designs, fine fabrics, creating texture when micro quilting, or whenever you don’t want your stitching to show."

I have to admit I haven't tried it yet, but I am on the search for it at all my local quilt shops.

Peggiep

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Peggiep that is interesting. I have always stayed away from polyester thread on quilts because many moons ago when I started quilting I had an instructor who warned the class not to use polyester thread because polyester is much stronger than cotton and can cut through your cotton fabric in time. She brought a quilt to class and showed us how the polyester thread used to bind her quilt had cut through the fabric on many stitches. I think I was at an early stage of quilting thinking there was so much work put into a quilt it would kill me for the thread I used to be the ultimate reason for its destruction! (I know now it's my dogs, but thats another story, lol.)
    I love to hand applique, and I recently read about a line of silk thread that has a large color line and the thread is said to glide through your fabric like no other thread and melt into your fabric becoming un-noticeable. I like the fact it has a large selection of colors as most silk thread I find in local stores just has a handful of colors. So I'm thinking of treating myself to start using this thread but I won't do it if I can't machine wash my quilts which is why I came here for advice. The thread is french "Au Ver A Soie".

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Hi MZQuilts - I was told the same thing about polyester, and I admit I haven't personally tried the Invisi-Fil. I have also recently been told that polyester has come a long way since it was introduced many moons ago. I do use silk and love it, but I am willing to try the Invisi-Fil on a small piece just to see how it works. (that might be a while, because there are very few suppliers in Canada yet). I wouldn't like a large project ruined because of the binding!
    Peggiep
    "I don't need to get organized, I just need a bigger sewing room."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I took Bob at superior threads threadolgy and polyester thread has come a long way.. You can do wonders with it and it's safe to use just get the good polyester not ones like coats and Clark get ones like arofil superior