Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Have you ever hurt yourself quilting?

Thought about this question yesterday, so here goes:
    Have you ever hurt yourself during the process of making a quilt? Yes I have. I think the responses we get are going to be very interesting! I hope I get you laughing on this one.

1. I was rethreading my domestic machine and got my finger caught under the needle and presser foot, oh boy now what. Played with turning the wheel and was able to get my finger out of there.
    2. Did cut the very end of my finger with the rotary cutter, ouch, lots of blood, but not too bad.
    3. Hand appliqueing, I ran the needle up under my fingernail, boy did that one hurt.
    4. Have stabbed myself multiple times when pinning down my Hawaiian quilt applique which takes about 4 hours for a double bed size.
    5. I think we all get sore shoulders from hunching over the machine when piecing and quilting.
    No I am not a klutz, these are just some of things that just happen.
    6. Did poke my self with the seamripper a few times.
    7. Got too close to my fingers with the iron.
    Last words, hope nobody got a hernia lifting up their stash!!!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Have you ever hurt yourself quilting?

While hand quilting, the eye of the needle will pierce my finger - as if the point was bad enough!!

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Just the other day I was hand sewing the binding on a quilt, and I sliced my thumb open with my sharp little Kai embroidery scissors. Thank goodness I didn't bleed on the quilt!
    Sheryl

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by surfergirl View Post
    3. Hand appliqueing, I ran the needle up under my fingernail, boy did that one hurt.
    I felt the pain just reading this one!
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Dropped the iron on to my leg while sitting down at the ironing board wearing shorts. The burn peeled three times, my leg is permanently scarred, and there is no feeling in that area.

Good news, the iron is still working fine.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

6. Thanks aqua-teal71 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just a few minor injuries: cut the skin between my thumb and index finger with scissors; ran the needle under my fingernail while hand hemming binding; stepped on pins, etc.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes think if I don't bleed a little at some point in any project, I haven't put enough of myself into it. lol
    Worst I have ever done and don't even know how it happened but managed to get my ring finger caught under the needle of my machine, only pierced it a bit but boy was it sore.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

On my very first quilt (this was 18 years ago on an $89 Walmart sewing machine), I was trying to applique around a heart I had fused down. Unfortunately, in my newbie ignorance, I had used heavy duty fusible, so it was thick and stiff as a board. To this day I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but somehow, trying to get through all that fabric and stiff fusible, the needle broke in half and pierced right through my thumb nail and out the other side.

But I wanted to work on my quilt, darn it! So I got up, found tweezers in the bathroom, pulled out the needle, rinsed and cleaned the wound, slathered my thumb in Neosporin, wrapped a band-aid around it and went back to work.

I knew that day that this quilting thing was about to take over my life in a very good way.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

10. Thanks aqua-teal71 thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Cut my finger with rotary cutter - bled A LOT! The very same night, my daughter did the same thing, had to take her to urgent care. Yep, we're both klutzes!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sore shoulders, rotary cutter cuts, pin and needle jabs, had the iron tip over and burn my arm three times on the way down, the day after sandwiching aches (because I still work on the floor), lol, and the "OMG this quilt is too heavy" strain as I carried it from the sewing room to the bedroom to lay it out on the bed.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou