Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: sewing sitting or standing?

I actually stand while sewing. I used to sit and found the ergonomics of any normal sewing surface to not be quite right and I would feel it the next day. It is easier to listen to my body for cues saying I am tired and need to take a load off my feet. But usually I can go at it for a few hours before I need a break. Plus because of my ironing board being in one room and my cutting mat being in another completely different room, and the sewing machine being in yet a different room, it is just easier to stand. Plus the height of my buffet which I sew on, keeps the items out of sight/reach from the children.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Does your machine have a "go" button?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deegles View Post
    . . . because of my ironing board being in one room and my cutting mat being in another completely different room, and the sewing machine being in yet aother room . . ..
    I thought I was the only one with that kind of arrangement. But it does help me get steps on my Fitbit. LOL

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 57 x 57 counter height table for my "sewing table" and I use a counter height stool and I love it! I gave bad knees so it is great not having to get up off a low chair every time I need to press or trim. I think I'd get too tired standing - especially on a tile floor. I'd need a mat to stand on for sure!
    Brenda.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I've had to learn to sew standing up, as I often am the most experienced sewist in the costume department on production, and will have to work on the standing-height counter at the back of the truck. However, I really do prefer sitting when I sew, but that may be only because my machine is sunken into the table.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I worked on a big sewing project in a home with only a bar height surface to work on. My little cheapie travel sewing machine foot pedal barely reached the floor, the wire was very short. . This would be my concern if choosing a higher surface to put the sewing machine on.

7. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Either works for me... but i enjoy standing to sew.... always feel an opportunity to stand straight feels better...
    The sewing room is sitting... i have a counter top running across the wall with 3 machines across Thread and Ribbon racks on the wall behind,, just move the chair...
    the quilt frame and mid-arm run down the middle... sterilite bin/drawers for storage under.
    The ironing board is on the opposite side with 8" deep bookcase shelves on the wall,, these are perfect for boarded fabrics. As efficient as i can get in a 12X12 room..GB
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do my sewing sitting down but prefer to do any cutting/ironing standing up. Originally I had a table height cutting/ironing but have asked my DH to modify it so I have to stand. After I sit too long my back & knees (both are major problems) get really mad at me when I go to stand up.

Gina