Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default What to do when you obsessively make a L-0-N-G strip for sashing or binding - how to control it.

Let me start by saying that I'm a little bit obsessive.
    So when I realised I would have to be cutting a lot of 1" & half strips for window sashing my current project, I felt it would be better that I joined them ALL up together so I'd have one strip approximately 8 miles long (just kidding!) and I could chain piece that sucker, just cutting when I needed to.
    Of course, I then realised that I would have to put this long ribbon of fabric somewhere so it wouldn't lose it's nice ironed look after I pressed the seams or get dirty. (I'm not a fan of white). I was also having trouble with the long thin length twisting and knotting as I used it. This meant the strip was not flowing easily through my fingers.
    Thinking....pondering.....ta dah!!!!! I grabbed an empty pringles can (put aside for another project) and as I ironed the strip, wound it around and around. I then placed it in the bottom of a gift bag, at my feet, so it would unwind as I sewed. Problem solved.
    I took a couple of pictures so I could share what I did. Hope they make sense.
    First, I used a simple pencil drawn line on one end of ALL my strips, then chain pieced them all together. I sniped apart the strand, cut the seams down to a rough 1/4 inch and ironed. I did spend the time feeding the strips into a large bag, so it was easier to keep them clean as I ironed the strip.
    The last pic is of my fairies window sashed 9-patches with the middle strip all latticed, ready to be stitched together to make the 9-patches tomorrow.
    I suppose this idea could be modified to include any size long length of strips...perhaps using the inner core from a paper towel roll or something..

Hope this helps somebody
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	binding 01.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	128239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	binding 02.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	128240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	binding 03.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	128241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	binding 04.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	128242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	faries - lattice and strips.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	128243  

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What to do when you obsessively make a L-0-N-G strip for sashing or binding - how to control it.

That's a great idea. It would work for bindings too! I use a piece of cardboard, but this looks like it might work better... Heaven knows I have enough Pringles cans in the house. We used to save them obsessively to send cookies to our deployed soldier. He's been home now for a couple of years. I should probably purge them but they come in handy sometimes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What to do when you obsessively make a L-0-N-G strip for sashing or binding - how to control it.

That works great for your project! Warning to those who might want to do this for jelly roll race strips, DON'T DO IT, I had a helper wind mine once after we ironed it, and for some reason, the twists magnified because I was pulling from both ends and I had such a tied up snarl, it took us 30 minutes to unsnarl it! Think "bird's nest" in fishing line! It was a mess!

But it worked great for your project and I like the idea of having the sewn together strip fall into a gift bag!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer not to use the chain piece method for sashing or log cabin strips.

However, your idea seems great for those that do! Necessity is the mother of invention!
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That was a very creative solution to your problem, and how nice of you to take photos and post them here for others who might want to do the same thing. Looking forward to seeing the finished project!