Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irons

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Irons

what is the normal lifespan of an iron.not a fancy one, just a plain one. If it is used every day????
    I LOVE JESUS

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Irons

My Black and Decker is well over 20 years old.

I think "normal" has a lot of variables with an iron. People always seem to drop them, that for sure shortens their lifespan. Mine has never been dropped. I always have used distilled water in mine because of the high mineral content in the water here.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

3. Thanks aqua-teal71 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My Black and Decker is fairly new yet....only 14 years old.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My experience with my Rowenta has not been typical of some people's with this company. My current Rowenta is now about 8 years old and has never spit. I use tap water per the instruction manual. But I was taught as a child to always empty an iron when you are finished using it, so I pour out any leftover water in the reservoir. Force of habit I guess, but it is working for me. My previous Rowenta lasted 6 years, but it was broken when my cat went a little nuts playing and leaped up on the ironing board, throwing everything to the floor. Not the company's fault. And the cat now stays away from the ironing board.

6. Thanks aqua-teal71 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My last two were Rowenta, lasted 5-6 years then started leaking pretty bad. I now have an Oliso which is great but it is still new, about 6m so still too early to tell on this one. Good luck. It seems like lots of people have the black and Decker. There have been other postings here on irons, you could try doing a search. I got my iron at Jo Anns when they were on sale plus I was able to use a coupon, so don't forget that. You might be able to save money that way or afford a more expensive one.

8. Thanks aqua-teal71 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had my B&D for years even after my cat dropped it.

Lorie

10. Thanks aqua-teal71 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Irons

...😔...... I lost my whole post.

Attachment 128063........Joann online only.... on sale $99. & a coupon for $1.60 shipping......

Replacing practicallly brand new Rowenta....dropped it, no longer holds water........😩

Maybe this will help someone.

....Bee
    The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡
    ~~~~Sewn By Bee

12. Thanks aqua-teal71 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

In two years I've purchased two cheap ones. They're only lasting about a year and then slowly stop holding heat then die. Both of them the same thing and were the same type. I really do have to start thinking of not being so CHEAP with irons! They're starting to get very annoying LOL

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

14. Thanks aqua-teal71 thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

My Rowenta didn't last long enough, maybe 5-6 years. I bought a Shark about a year ago, $30 or so. So far, so good. Steams great.
    Bev

16. Thanks aqua-teal71 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

There likely is not an answer to that. Some cheap irons keep going, some expensive ones don't last, vice versa. Luck of the draw?

Some people only use vintage irons; if you know how to refurbish and repair them they can be workhorses.

I kept my handed down 80s era Black & Decker that had been dropped and plastic broken off. I cleaned it up and it's still going strong. Can't say it was used every day all that time, but it did get a lot of heavy use and abuse. But I put it aside for ironing adhesives because it's too heavy for me and I wanted some more features. I'm not too interested in how long my new one will last, it suits my needs so perfectly I'd just buy another.

18. Thanks aqua-teal71 thanked for this post