Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default So... How many quilting projects do you have going?

I asked this at the bottom of another post, but it sort of got lost. I have been quilting just about 2 years now. I love it, but I have found I sort of need to have at least three piecing projects going. If I run into trouble with one, I move onto another and let that problem stew. Also if I am at a stage I don't like (squaring up blocks kills me on many levels) I turn to another project as a reward after X amount of time. Or I just get excited by the new idea.

What is your quilting pattern of behavior?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: So... How many quilting projects do you have going?

I seem to be good at making and finishing tops. Piecing is my favorite part so once I get to the sandwiching and figuring out quilting, I tend to put it aside. My biggest excitement comes from finding a pattern I like and then buying the fabric. Sometimes it takes me over a year to actually start that project.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

3. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

I know we have discussed this subject before, but I can't find the post/s right now. Hummmm??

Anyhow, I still have to have at least 3 or more projects going. many for the same reasons as you listed. Piecing on one, final quilting on another, waiting for fabric on another.... and experimenting with a new block for that extra machine I keep handy.

then there is the hand quilting going on.....

I keep plastic boxes with my project inside them.. along with everything that I need to get that quilt finished. Also keeps my sewing area looking good. Not a lot of stuff / fabric scattered all over and getting mixed up with each other. Did I tell you I have about 15 project boxes stacked up and waiting for my "creative" juices to find them??? LOL

5. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I don't have a clue! Can I just say less than 50? I also have to have several going at once.
    Donna

7. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't even want to count how many UFOs I have going! I also enjoy the piecing process. If I find another pattern that I want to try, I may just make another quilt top. This year, I'm working on sandwiching & quilting those finished tops. I have at least 3 UFOs where the blocks are finished; they just need sewing together. I also have a few projects where I've made 3 or 4 sampleblocks, but I need to make more in order to have enough for a baby quilt.

Re: squaring blocks - if you do it as you go, it won't seem so daunting. It also prevents problems later on, if you find the blocks aren't all the same size. Sometimes it might mean sewing a more scant 1/4" seam. In some cases, you may need to square portions of a block before putting all sections together. Squaring up really helps achieve a better quality quilt.

9. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have about four quilt projects in the works right now. These are quilts that don't have a specific person in mind, just liked the patterns. So those tend to get pushed back to work on more pressing things, like Easter presents for the grandkids, wedding and baby shower gifts coming up.

11. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I found myself having a real juggling act with the number of 'in the works' projects I had going. I guess I do have 4 projects going right now: my daughter's wedding quilt - on hold until I visit again and we can print out the pictures; my January UFO from the Git 'er Done group, 1/2 quilted, and will finish now that my machine is fixed; Izzy's 'Cats and Snails' quilt is waiting for me to piece the snails part of the border; and, finally, the Christmas pot holders that I started probably 4 years ago! Oh, and #5 - a new EPP project that I am planning on starting soon. I now have around 18 - 20 UFOs, a large list of projects I would like to do to participate in a crafts fair, another list of projects for birthday and holiday gifts, and then, the list of 'I would like to make this' items.

This year particularly, I am focusing on FINISHING what has already been started. I, too, enjoy the planning, purchasing and piecing the most. But I don't want these pretty tops to just be stashed away and not become finished projects that can be enjoyed by friends and family.
    Last edited by Sylvia H; March 22nd, 2016 at 11:37 AM.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

13. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 tops finished waiting to be sandwiched, quilted and binded. I enjoy piecing but not so much finishing. Got a bit of stress going on in my life right now so am only focued on stuff I enjoy doing. These will need to wait a while before I have the right frame of mind to finish them.

I started a paper piecing project but have put it aside for the moment because it's challenging. I love challenges but not so much when I'm dealing with a bunch of stress. I want to wait on this one and tackle it again once I can properly handle it...and enjoy the challenge of making it.

I am in the process of making a bazillion 1/2" hexies for an EPP project....expecting this project will take a couple of years. Sounds like this project should be stressful but not at all....totally enjoying seeing my pile of hexies grow. Time to start joining some of them together.

I just started a scrap quilt made up of 1.5" squares comprised of all unique fabrics. I think I will end up needing 1006 unique squares. My goal is to finish this one up then complete all of my unfinished tops.
    Last edited by lmanna; March 22nd, 2016 at 11:39 AM.

15. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I am a newbie too, I have purchased fabric for 3 projects. I find I am getting very excited when I seea pattern that I like and I would like to buy everything....I think I suffer from fabricitis....

17. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I get anxious when I have too many Ufo's so I've spent the last 3 months catching up and I can say with a big "whew" that I have only the binding to finish on some placemats and one table topper which will all be finished this week. I also have the material for three quilts and a large wall hanging and some new curtains and three smaller wall hangings that I hope to get done by Christmas. But I think I'll do a few fun projects before I look at those. I'm going into my busy season now with gardening and etc so it will be a struggle to get back to quilting. I'm so glad to be caught up for now.
    Oh - and squaring up blocks is one of my favorite things to do. I had a really good teacher and she shared her love.

19. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post