Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Seam allowance on flannel. The Mfg says...

I am about to begin a quilt for a wedding gift using the wonderful Woolies flannel from Maywood Studios. Most of the recommendations from forum ppl were to use a 1/2 inch seam because of raveling issues. Today I called the manufacturer in Portland and was told it is perfectly fine to use a regular quarter inch seam on the Woolies line, that "it is considered the Cadillac of flannel and raveling will not be a problem." You can tell by the feel that it is high quality fabric, so I am going to go by their recommendations. Just thought I'd share the info. By comparison flannel from Jo Ann's is pretty thin so I would stick with the half inch rule on the other brands such as the ones they carry.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Seam allowance on flannel. The Mfg says...

Good to know this from the manufacturer. I have made two quilts with Woolies flannel, both with 1/4" seams. The first was a jelly roll quilt. It has been washed a few times, and is holding up well. The second was with a layer cake - hasn't been washed or gifted yet, but I expect it will do just as well as the first.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have made several quilts with Moda flannels using 1/4" seams with no problem. They are very nice flannels.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting - I made a flannel quilt (good flannel) last Christmas for hubby with 1/4" seams. So far it's fine. But it's still nice to hear it from a manufacturer.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think the 1/2" inseam is only for a rag quilt because you need room to snip the fabric as well as the inseam.
    Joan