Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Design Wall

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Default Design Wall

My family and I are moving to a new house here in about a month and I am going to have a dedicated sewing room that I am so excited for! It is about 11'x12' so a good size without being too huge. I am working on designing what I want to go into it and how I want to lay it out and know that I am wanting to incorporate a design wall into my design. What has everyone used for their design walls? Have you made your own and how did you do it and what materials did you use? If you bought a design wall already made where did you buy it from and what brand is it? How big are your design walls?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Design Wall

I made one from covering poster boards with felt yardage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	design wall.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	127997

You will get plenty of ideas!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My design wall came from Joann's. It is made by Fons and Porter. You need to put up adhesive hooks to hold it up, but it works very well. It is soft plastic on one side and brushed fiber on the other. It has a grid that is helpful in placing blocks. I bought another one, and my plan is to move both of them to another wall and make a really large design wall. While one alone is a nice size, it isn't large enough for bed quilts.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased a large design wall from Massdrop. I believe it was from Cheryl Designs but I will have to get up and look at the logo on the bag. I think it is 72x72 inches and can be used free standing or as I will eventually do, hang it on a wall. I love it. Before I used the Fons & Porter design wall and I liked it also, especially the grids, but it was really not big enough if you are doing a large quilt. Before that I contemplated making my own and actually purchased the flannel for it. Whatever you decide to do, a design wall is truly helpful.

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

I used the back side of my big antique wardrobe.. just tacked up some white flannel and wa la!! It is the size of a twin bed top. Sometimes it isn't big enough... but is sure helps.

Then I use the 10x 10 cardboard that comes with the layer cakes.. glued on some flannel and I have my small block design board. Those work so well for many tasks, that I made 3 more.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I went to Walmart and got two cheap vinyl table cloths. Tacked them up on the wall with the backside out. It made a huge design wall and its easy to take down when not it use. I found the table cloths in the Clearance section for $2.00 each.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I covered foam insulation panels from Home Depot with felt. Also used cheapie tablecloths with flannel backs for block layouts when I went to workshops. Did need to put a pin in each block to keep them in place when I rolled the table cloth up to take home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I actually have two and when I have sewing buddies use them both. One my DH made by making a wood frame and hanging 2 4'x8' sheets of pink insulation covering it with tablecloth fabric-it is huge I love it! The other was to be temporary while he finished the first and is just a plastic table clothe tacked to the wall flannel side out.
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 6' by 10' design wall in my basement sewing room. A contractor friend of mine put up 1/2" foam insulation that I had covered with inexpensive flannel I got a Joann's (it was on clearance for $2/yard at the time). I actually had to sew 2 pieces together lengthwise to get it to the right size. I have no windows down there so I had a nice big wall I could use.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-11-05 08.44.25.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	128004 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-11-05 08.42.04.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	128005(the design wall is on the left side of the room. The binder clips are holding the flannel to the board) This is about as clean as my room has ever been, part of a challenge to get my mess straightened up back in 2014. The sewing machine was packed up to go away for the weekend. It doesn't look like this now!
    Last edited by KathyCrofoot; March 21st, 2016 at 09:46 AM.

10. Thanks Devchdm thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I did the same thing Lori did and bought a cheap plastic tablecloth, turned it around and nailed it to the wall.