Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Piecing a quilt back - do you match the pattern in the fabric.

I'm new to quilting and wonder if, when you piece a quilt back, you take care to match the pattern in the fabric. I suspect it might depend on how large the pattern in the fabric is, but most of mine are somewhat small. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Piecing a quilt back - do you match the pattern in the fabric.

I do not, but I can't say that I've ever pieced a backing with large print. I mostly use solids or small print as backing. I bet someone else on here with more expertise may be able to chime in.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just another reason why I like to use wide backing fabric. I don't have to worry about that. With a small, all over print I think you are pretty safe not worrying too much about matching fabric design. When using a large print, or stripes, plaids, etc. then it would be better to match as closely as possible so it would appear as one continuous piece.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I try to because it seems to look better but it doesn't always happen. Sometimes the print is just not friendly to being matched or the way the print is set up, there would be lots of fabric waste (having to buy a lot of extra yardage). And sometimes how easy it is depends upon the size of the quilt (how many panels of fabric for the the back side).

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

As a longarm quilter I am seeing more and more pieced backs. It is not necessary to match the prints. A lot of times a print fabric is used between two tone on tone or plain color fabrics. Some people are incorporating blocks in their backs. It works best for a longarm quilter if the seams are horizontal. Vertical seams wrap over and over each other creating uneven bulk as we roll the backing on our rollers. It takes more time and care to be sure the back stays smooth and even as we quilt. Half inch seams with a slightly smaller stitch length and pressed open also create a smoother pieced back.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on "which school of thought you go to")
    I am an "out of the box" gal. If it's funky and a bit crazy.. it's for me...LOL
    Mostly because i have so many fabrics that my goal is to use them up...
    My rule of thumb is to use ALL of any fabric that is used on the quilt top. That means that i use the smallest amount of yardage i have that will co ordinate with the front. Most of the time it is only the basic 44-45 wide. I use it all in the most efficient way and fill in the amount needed with pieces from the top. If the pieces are small i will just stitch them all together to get the length and width needed.. )
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love to piece my quilt backs using leftover fabric or blocks from the front.
    Saves money on backing fabric and makes the back more interesting.
    And adding leftover fabric or blocks always helps during those times when you find that you do not have enough backing fabric (as in the case below where I ran out of backing fabric and added all sorts of stuff). LOL

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151103_094551 (2).jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	218.5 KB 
ID:	127814

Sheep Farmer by day........Quilter-in-Training by night
    The Farmmyfarm

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I always match even the tiniest patterned backings if I have to piece a backing. My mother would turn over in her grave if I didn't.

That's why I was so pleased when I discovered wide width backing fabrics. My mother can rest in peace.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Anything goes when it comes to backing your quilt. On most quilts I like to a neutral backing with a small print or marbleized effect, so when I come across some in cream, beige and light grey I scoop it up if the price is right. Muslin is always a good choice especially when Joann's has a sale on small bolts plus your coupon.

I've been know to back guild challenge quilts or wall hangings with a wild and crazy print just to keep things lively.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Farmer View Post
    I love to piece my quilt backs using leftover fabric or blocks from the front.
    Saves money on backing fabric and makes the back more interesting.
    And adding leftover fabric or blocks always helps during those times when you find that you do not have enough backing fabric (as in the case below where I ran out of backing fabric and added all sorts of stuff). LOL

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151103_094551 (2).jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	218.5 KB 
ID:	127814
    Love what you did with the back of this quilt.