Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sisix bird--crazy bird quilt

Hello all!

I am new to quilting and this is probably a very stupid question, but what is a sisix cut out and how does one use it? I want to make the crazy bird quilt and it looks like you have to purchase a sisix bird cut out but I'm at a loss as to what that is. any info would be appreciated!
    thanks!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sisix bird--crazy bird quilt

Welcome from Michigan !
    To use the a bird die from Sizzix, yes you will have to purchase the Big Shot machine and two acrylic plates. ( see below for items you need to purchase to get started )
    A sizzix cut out is a die that you place in a into a die-cutting machine called a "Big Shot" ( and these come in different colors...but they all work the same ) There's also an older version of the die cutting machine called a Big-Kick ( usually red & white in color ...might be other colors too ) which is exactly the same type of machine....they are pretty much identical machines, just different names ( I have a friend that has both a Big Shot and a Big Kick ).
    When you want to use these machines you "sandwich the die between acrylic plates...and then crank the "sandwich" through the Big Shot machine.

There's many, many dies out there.....Sizzix Dies, Tim Holtz Dies, Embossing Folders, Emboslits, etc.....all of these can be put thru the Big Shot. you can use a variety of products such as fabric, cardstock, and other things ( I have a list if you are interested ) that you can use to put on a die and go thru the Big Shot.
    Here's a link for Sizzix ( it just says "home" but this is the link for Sizzix...promise ! )
    Home
    On Tuesdays, Sizzix has a sale......you can get a percentage off. Also if you order a $100 or more from Sizzix, the Shipping is free.
    Sizzix has a Dresden Die...and a few other dies that you can use for quilting ( squares etc ) Jenny Doan of MSQC has designed dies for the Sizzix machines too.

Another thing, Accquilt is a die machine that you can purchase too. They have 2-3 different sized machines ( I don't own one ) and there's dies that you can purchase for different quilt blocks etc.
    Here's the link for the Accquilt :
    https://www.accuquilt.com/

Honestly, I don't own a Accquilt machine....I have purchased a lot of Sizzix Dies ( at first for paper crafting, making cards & scrapbooking ) and now use the dies for quilting too !

Using one of these machines would save a lot of time cutting out fabric. I am sure that down the line using dies to cut fabric is something I will switch to some day.
    Last edited by redcaboose1717; March 15th, 2016 at 12:06 PM.

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

3. Thanks MDirmeyer thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I took a look online to see what the best deal for the Sizzix Die Machine was. I found this deal at overstock.com

Sizzix BIGkick Machine W/Extended Multipurpose Platform - Periwinkle - 16017591 - Overstock.com Shopping - Big Discounts on Sizzix Die Cut Machines

This includes everything you need to get started....EXCEPT the bird die you said you wanted, you will have to purchase the Bird Die, and subsequent dies that you may want in future.

Here's something you should know. The acrylic pads that are included with the kit will ( and are supposed to ) become "scratched" up due to use...when you run the die(s) thru the machines, it will make marks ( looks like big scratches ) in the acrylic pad...but that's nothing to worry about !!! My acrylic pads look horrible, but they are still going strong, 4 yrs after purchase. I use my Big Shot a few times per week. I started out years ago, wanting to learn how to scrapbook & make my own greeting cards. ( I haven't purchased a greeting card in a store in almost 15 yrs ! I make all my own cards....and love doing it ).

5. Thanks lailaish thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Also, check with local quilt shops. Some of them may have either the Sizzix or Accuquilt (who has several different bird shape dies) that you may be able to "rent" if you want to try out applique before you make a big $ investment.
    Debbie

7. Thanks lailaish thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

hello, thanks so much for the info! I'll probably stick to hand cutting for now, i didn't realize it would require an additional purchase to make it. I appreciate all the info and time you took though!! thank you!!

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

thanks, that's a great idea!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You're Welcome !

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made the crazy bird quilt for my GD for Christmas. I drew the bird on a piece of cardboard and used that as a template. Worked out fine. Try drawing the bird on paper first so you get it right then use a firm piece to use as a template.

12. Thanks lailaish thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Forum from Wisconsin! Some beginners just amaze me, like you--uh, are you sure you want to start out with something this hard? Applique is not usually a beginner's project. I don't have a sissix or accuquilt, but a lot of people love them. I would watch some You Tube videos first before making that kind of investment. Good luck, and come back to the Forum if you have any questions!!

14. Thanks lailaish thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at Craigslist as well. You never know what you might find.