Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Martelli gripper hoops

Martelli Catalog: Free Motion Gripper Quilting Hoops

I bought one of these after having hand surgery. Couldn't put hand flat to FMQ, but could use the handles.
    Dragged it out again yesterday as both thumbs were hurting and couldn't hold fabric.

They do surprisingly well with 2 givens. One - you have to be aware where the hoop and foot will intersect and stall. Two - patience - you have to slow down a tad if you need to think. For those who do row by row like stippling patterns, even the Lunt frame would be better for bad hands if you can't afford or don't have room for a standard one. If you do QAYG, or have smaller divisions in quilt for single motif type FMQ, they are great. I like the old single motifs - one per block that fits the design.

I used them to finish a wall hanging. I could have used a walking foot, but that would mean handling a lot of fabric and turning it which I don't care for. Something seems to droop or catch somewhere. and hands hurt. I straight line quilted, but since the hoop was exerting most of the pressure of holding the wall hanging, it made it a lot easier on my hands. I have used it with a cast on my hand.

I've tried the plain ring one and didn't like it. What I would say is that any hoop that has handles would be more user friendly. Gives you something to grab if you can't put your hand flat.

I'll keep using it if I can't FMQ per block in QAYG.
    Last edited by Alpha O; March 8th, 2016 at 11:04 AM.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Martelli gripper hoops

thanks for this....i had bought the set but have never used them......i guess i was intimidated by them once i saw them but you've encouraged me to try for the next project.