Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cutting mat preferences

I just purchased my first set of creative grid rulers, I am excited to use them as soon as I get a new cutting mat. I am looking for one that has the little dots all the way up and down the mat that is in between the inch lines to measure 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4. I know Fiskars has one with the dots for each marking, because that's what I am using now and have loved it, and maybe will get again. But wondering if there are any other brands that have the dot measurement markings from top to bottom of mat? I have searched mats, and try to zoom in on the pic, but can't tell on some of them if they have them or not. I want a color that is easy to read when using my creative grids rulers.
    Thank you!

2. Thanks Cathy F thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cutting mat preferences

Boy, I love my mat. It is big and has lots of different grids. I have an olfa 24x36.Its 10 yrs old and shows very little wear. I made 10 quilts last year. This year I've cut out 3. Probably another 30 quilts have been cut but I'm old and don't remember. lol

4. Thanks Ang'sFam thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like to have a ruler with lines around it so I own an Olfa.

Lorie

6. Thanks Ang'sFam thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 24x36 green Olfa mat that is still good, after 15 years... Just treated myself to a new bright blue mat...same size... I love it...

I use mat lines to line up fabric for cutting, but never for measuring... I was taught to use my rulers for accurate cutting... Love my Creative Grid rulers...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

8. Thanks Ang'sFam thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I started with olfa and just replaced it with another olfa after 20 or so years. I have 18 x 24 and a 24 x 3 also have a fiskers spinning mat.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

10. Thanks Ang'sFam thanked for this post
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone! I just might have to get me an Olfa mat this time.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Martelli is nice and it is usually reversible. If I can't see the fabric on one side, I flip it.

13. Thanks Ang'sFam thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 Olfa mats, 1 large and 1 medium. LOVE them. Have had no problems with them and they are 13 years old.

15. Thanks Ang'sFam thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I wish CG made a mat.

Havel's makes a really nice mat, but it doesn't come in larger sizes. I asked if they will, they said thanks for the suggestion. I really loved the markings on it! I had to return it, Amazon sent me a "brand new" one with several deep slices embedded with black fabric and dusted in cat hair (I'm highly allergic to cats!). I selected an different mat to replace it, I'd need some time to stop being mad and seeing it in my minds eye.

I adore my Clover mat and have two sizes. Both are completely blank on one side. Love, love, love the mat, it's the best I've ever cut on. But it's not got the markings you're looking for. It does have eight inch grid marks, but they're in a larger grid on the mat and not in each square like I think you're looking for.
    Last edited by stitchwishes; March 4th, 2016 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Life interrupted, adding a bit

17. Thanks Ang'sFam thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Fiskars 24 x 36 inch cutting mat and an Olfa rotating mat....the Fiskars mat is in need of replacing, it's 15 yrs old. So, I too, have been thinking about purchasing a new mat.
    I have thought about purchasing another brand.....possibly something with a white or light gray surface.....something like what Jenny is using right now. I don't know why, I am just not partial to the green that Olfa uses for it's mats.

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

19. Thanks Ang'sFam thanked for this post