Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default How many people do their own FMQ?

New quilter here evaluating the effort vs the reward of doing my own FMQ or paying someone else do it? I am practicing but progress is slow. Very slow. Piecing skills are developing faster and I really didn't want to have all these quilt tops hanging around till I get good enough to finish a project.

I know it is a personal preference but curious how many quilters on this forum have others do the FMQ part of the quilt.

Thanks!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How many people do their own FMQ?

I used to take it to a quilter with a long arm but found disappointed with the "meandering" that is the only quilting she would do. I wasn't satisfied and learned it was possible to do this with what I have. So I tried it on pot holders and placemats and found it wasn't hard. It is like doodling without picking up your pencil. Pot holders and placemats are not as hard as a larger quilt because you have so much better control with smaller stuff and less WWE action during the quilting process. So, I keep expanding my library of can-do's . I have successfully made hearts and stars and mums, and lots of pebbles. I am better with curves than straight lines. My next one I will find disappearing ink to try out more straight line quilting, because dwg a straight line is hard enough let alone drawing one with your machine.

Taking it to a quilter can be more than a three week turn around too. And the extra money I save, I can spend on fabric!!!!!
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

3. Thanks Devchdm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do my own FMQ because I am quilting on a budget. If I was a billionaire I would send all my quilt tops out to be custom quilted. I think a good LA quilter really enhances a quilt top. It does take a lot of practice to do FMQ on a full size quilt top on a DSM. I have been FMQ for three years now and I am getting better, but I was a slow learner.

Have you considered doing your quilting with a walking foot? It is much easier than FMQ and you can do some very nice designs.

Petit Design Co: 31 Days of Walking Foot Quilting
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

5. Thanks Devchdm thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I do my own. I have found that it helps me to have a big drawing pad and to practice the quilting pattern on paper with pen then go to the sewing machine and start quilting. I've done this with a home sewing machine and I'm now doing this with my Brother Dreamweaver on the Dream Fabric Frame.
    Susan Davis
    Remember, the mighty oak was just a nut that held its ground.

7. Thanks Devchdm thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Another option to consider is to find out if any of your local quilt shops (if you have any nearby) have longarm machines that you can take lessons on then rent. I've never tried this - still doing walking foot quilting and squiggly FMQ on my machine. I'm not good but I know that the people I'm giving the quilts to aren't going to be sitting around critiquing my stitches!
    Slainte!

Liz

9. Thanks Devchdm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do my own FMQing or Stitch-in-ditch quilting on twin size or smaller.

I had a custom LAQer recommended to me by a forum friend. The lady lives an hour and a half South from where I live. She custom quilted a king size and a queen size quilt and two pillow shams for each quilt and put the binding on the two quilts. I had to put the backs on the shams so she didn't bind them. She supplied the batting and charged me $147.00 for all that. $17 was for postage to mail the quilted items back to me. So when I want custom quilting I now mail the quilts to her.

So there are options.

11. Thanks Devchdm thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tutorial info Petit Design. Very informative.
    Kelly

13. Thanks Devchdm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

I am like Deegles.. Do my own FMQ. The difference is I do my quilts in sections, then sew them together.. Makes it easier on my poor muscles and I am not "Wrestling" a big wad of fabric thru my machine.

I experiment with different patterns. I found that Crayola washable markers work really well for marking the quilts and washes out!!!

The reason I do my own FMQ is - I like the feeling I get when I finish a quilt.. All warm and fuzzy because I did it all so the quilt is ME;...

15. Thanks Devchdm thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I have taken a couple to the longarmer, she does a good job but it is really hard on the bank account as my husband is disabled and we are taking care of my ailing father. I quilt to clear my mind. i started straight lines quilting on my grandsons quilt (the skateboard quilt) turned out so cute. used the walking foot with the attachment for straight lines. my biggest problem is i only have a singer and its not happy with this big of a quilt, I would love to get a new machine

17. Thanks Devchdm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do my own FMQ because I think the quilting is what makes a quilt special to me. I have had one queen sized quilt done by a LAQ and it was very expensive. I have another queen sized quilt that I will be doing soon, but a friend of mine has a long-arm machine that she said I could use. (I'm buying her rulers & such for letting me use it.) So I'll be doing even my big quilts from now on.

When doing FMQ, I decide what design I want and I draw it out and practice it on a practice sandwich. Then I do it on the real quilt. Sometimes I actually draw the design on the quilt if I'm having a hard time making it good enough to suit me by doing it free hand. You can look at my albums to see some of the quilting that I've done. It's not a lot, but I'm pretty new at FMQ.

Be brave! It just takes practice. I figure if I can do it, anybody can.
    Bec

19. Thanks Devchdm thanked for this post