Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for a new machine

What is the concensus as to the best machine out there for quilting? I'm looking for one that does basic quilting, applique stitches, etc. as well as one with greater ease for machine quilting. I see the machine Jenny uses on her tutorials is a baby lock. Any suggestions?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for a new machine

I just went to a Man Sewing class. BabyLock provided all the machines for the class. We could buy these machines at a terrific discount.

I resisted the temptation, but I think a Baby Lock is in my future. It was such a nice machine to sew on.

I hear that Bernina is also quite good. I have decided against every buying a Bernina, however, because their accessories are prohibitively expensive. I couldn't handle the ongoing expense.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Try out a Janome as well and the "higher priced" Brother... they might just surprise you)
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I think you'll find there is no consensus when it comes to machines. I have Pfaff machines and love them. I love their integrated feed on the feed dogs and I don't have to have a walking foot. I love the classes/lessons (lifetime). The dealer is awesome with her knowledge and helpfulness, and she includes a 20% discount on everything in the store except fabric if you've bought your machine there.

In order to buy the machine that is right for you, do your homework/research. Know what features you want, which one might be optional for you; know your budget. When you go to a store, you should be able to test a machine and ask lots of questions. A nationally known quilt instructor (John Flynn) told me once that you don't buy the machine you buy the dealer. I would agree.

Good luck!
    Nancy
    Nancy

Psalm 126:3 The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would be looking for a machine with a large harp space. This question comes up now and again, and so I am sure that someone will post some great things for you to look for when you purchase your "newest" baby !

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't find one machine that was the best so I do most of my sewing/quilting on a Janome 8900 but have a Babylock Symphony for applique and a Singer S16 for heavy work. I thought I wanted the Opal and hated it when I sewed on it, then tried a Pfaff 4.2 and didn't love it. Always had Janome machines and love the 8900 but that pivot feature on the Babylock is a great asset when doing butthole applique. The Singer came due to a deal of the day at Amazon and fantastic price last year, it is a clone to the Janome 1600. I bought the Babylock used with full warranty from a woman who used an old Singer and wanted to update and hated it, got lucky on that one. If I could only keep one, it would be the 8900, love the 11" harp space and feel it is a more solid machine than the Babylock but the bobbin work and pivot features are great on the Symphony so glad I don't have to choose.

You really do need to test them out because I went with cash in hand to buy the Opal from looking on-line but just did not connect with it at all. Good luck in your search, it is somewhat frustrating going through the pricing process but should be fun finding a machine that sings to you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you are planning on quilting with your machine, there are several features that are helpful to have as mentioned earlier - a large harp space just makes it easier. I like the needle down feature. Be sure to check the price of feet and other accessories as they can vary widely between sewing machine companies.

The other thing that I think is important is to test out the machine with fabrics that you use and thicknesses (sandwich a quilt block) that you want to use if at all possible. Do your research and be open to other machines than the one you think you want. A dealer can make a huge difference.

My main machine that I sew on is a Baby Lock Symphony. This was not one of the machines that I originally went in the store to buy. But there were several features that drew me to it (large computer screen) and with all of the various features, it was not one that I would outgrow quickly.

Another thing to keep in mind are you planning on traveling with this machine like to quilt guild sewing days or will this be a stay at home machine? Some people have their main sewing machine and have a smaller one that works great for piecing or doing small projects if they go somewhere.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

My machine repair man suggested I get a Janome Memory Craft 6600 Professional and I am loving it. I already had a Janome but a smaller one but because I am sewing most days, he said the 'Professional' machine would suit.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have both the Janome Memory Craft 630 and the DC 2030. The Memory Craft is my work horse and sews everything from rope baskets to heavy denim while purring like a kitten, and has two motors so I don't have to unthread the machine to fill the next bobbin. The DC 2030 is 12 pounds and easy to take to class or on an airplane. It's the "little engine that could" and almost as powerful as her big sister. The feet and bobbins are interchangeable- important to me. I so agree with Shawnan - don't buy a machine from a dealer that you don't feel comfortable with or who is too far away to get easy adjustments from.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the advice given... Go to a variety of dealers, even if that means you have to drive a couple of hours. Having said that I'll tell you I purchased my last 2 machines by Internet .. Because there is not a Juki dealer remotely close to me. I made that decision by reading every review I could find and watching a few you tube reviews. I wanted a great straight stitch machine with at least a 9 inch harp that reviewers consistently stated was awesome for free motion quilting and using the walking foot ... The Juki 2010 fit the bill and has proven to be even more awesome in actual use. But it's a straight stitch only machine and not one to be toted to class/retreat very easily. I also really enjoy blanket stitch appliqué and occasionally using a fun deco stitch to decorate a towel or tote bag, etc. And I love going on retreats so needed a machine that was somewhat portable. The Juki F 600 seemed to fit the bill. Here's where IF I would have had a dealer I would have chosen probably the Juki 400 or 300. The 600 is really more machine than I need and came with a few things I don't use ... Like the knee lifter and plastic extension table. I love sew steady tables so my Juki extension table sits in the closet. I paid for stuff I really didn't need ... And the learning curve has been longer than anticipated ...if I would have had a dealer I think some of my early frustrations would have perhaps not been so dramatic ... ... However I've worked thru it and truly do love both machines now.