Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I'm In A Quilting Funk!

I know how you feel... My get-up-and-go.. Got-up-and-went over Christmas. It has come back, now I have 4 quilt tops to finish..
    Last edited by Learner quilter; February 26th, 2016 at 03:42 PM.
    Christine.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Angela,
    We all get into lows like this ( Funks ) ......Unless I have a quilt or some other items I am making for a gift, I rarely put myself on a timeline. ( having a deadline makes me really anxious at times ! )
    I used to think that I should ONLY have two quilts or other sewing projects going at the same time. Now I do whatever I want. This week-end I am going to start another quilt, using Jenny's newest tutorials. I really like it. I am going to use other colors of course. I keep looking at the MSQC fabrics, so I am sure later tonight I will most likely place another order ( I really need more fabric like I need a hole in my head....Honestly ! LOL !

Lastly, Angela, there is no "wrong" place to ask questions here ! This is a great forum with many people who are always willing to help everyone. Don't hesitate to ask questions.
    Have a great week-end !!!

Smiles

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Deadlines are for work This is my hobby that is for pure pleasure. No deadlines allowed unless it is a special gift.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm retired. I don't HAVE deadlines!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyknot View Post
    I'm retired. I don't HAVE deadlines!
    Somebody slap her please! Heh.

I also work, so I don't have any tops waiting to be quilted! LOL only recently have I quilted quilts...and three of those were to go to the quilters. But, I sometimes lose my creativity. And that will get me in a funk. So, I understand the funkiness.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Shirleyknot is right, those quilts in the closet aren't going anywhere. I have given myself permission to let my mind wander into new territory when what I am working on is not calling to me. A quick project, or trying a new technique, or even something that is not quilting at all, whatever is fun. Often, when I go back to that old project, I see it with new eyes, and may even change what I planned to do, or how I will quilt it, and the project is better for it. To me that is just part of the process.
    If you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I think it's important to know what role sewing plays in your life. If its role is to be calming, soothing, enjoyable, then do the parts you enjoy, and don't worry about finishing things. If its role is to give you a sense of accomplishment, then finish things. If you work out what you get from sewing you'll work out how to manage your sewing so it fills your needs. That's my approach, anyway.

Occasionally I start to feel overwhelmed by the number or size of my projects; but I find that almost all of them get finished in time, when that's what I want to do. If I'm no longer enjoying them, I give myself permission to let them go. A dear friend of mine says there is only one letter difference between quilter and quitter! And I think it really is OK to quit doing things that are not important, like, dare I say it, quilting. Family, friends, your health, your job -- those are the places where you can't quit. I try to save my persistence and stick-to-ive-ness for the important things in life, and try not to worry about whether or when I finish things that I do for fun.

You'll figure out what works for you!
    Last edited by Claire OneStitchAtATime; February 27th, 2016 at 02:05 AM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I too am in that funk. Pushed myself like crazy to get a one block wonder quilt ready for Christmas. Signed up for a Leah Day block of the month. Am so ticked trying to get those blocks together, that I'm not quilting anything at all.

Should probably start the Star Wars quilt that never got here in enough time to make it for DH for Christmas.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I work about 60 hours per week....and 40plus hours of them are nightshift. The last six months of 2015, I was sewing/quilting daily! I had the motivation because I needed gifts for the holidays. Since December, I've done small projects people asked me to do and a few baby quilts, but nothing else. I have fabric/thread waiting to be cut/sewed/quilted for our king size quilt. I can't seem to get rolling on it, though. Just thinking of the work that it takes is exhausting me. I have two small projects to get done, then I'll take a deep breathe and just start the quilt.