Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help With Backing

Okay, I need help. Purchased backing for a jelly roll quilt and for the life of me I can't figure out how to cut it to sew it together to fit! My brain is just not working right today and I would appreciate anyone's assistance.

Jelly roll top size 51-1/2" wide, 60" long
    Backing is WOF x 104" long

The ladies at the quilt shop used an app on their phone to calculate how much backing fabric I needed. I added a bit just to be safe but my geometry brain cells are on vacation today.
    Don't worry, be scrappy!

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help With Backing

I tend to over purchase on fabric, so I feel like you are cutting it very close on the amount of fabric needed.

if the WOF = 44" then its 104" long you should just be able to cut in half - right?

Then you will have 2 pcs that are 44" x 52"

Then you can sew them together to have 1 pc 87" x 52"

IF I am thinking correctly. I am going to watch and see what other answers you get - - hoping that I can learn something

Teresa

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I am sending it to a longarmer to be quilted. I see what you mean about cutting it in half but that doesn't leave 4" on either side, which is what I have read most longarmers want due to shrinkage. There would be more than plenty in length but the width would be short. Maybe I need to make the top narrower? Don't want to do that unless absolutely necessary.
    Don't worry, be scrappy!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We need to know if the WOF is 42" or 44". By my calculations, even if the WOF is 44", you don't have enough material. One of the first things I would do is go back to the store and ask the ladies how they would piece it based on the amount of material they calculated.

I think they should give you the right amount, in one cut, and take back the material that was not the right amount.
    Last edited by Sylvia H; February 21st, 2016 at 03:33 PM.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backing.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	126344

You need to seam it. My numbers look weird. It's hard to write with the computer mouse. But make your first cut 68" by WOF. Then take the remaining yard of fabric, split it down the middle to give you two pieces that are 21" by 36". Seam them together to get a 21" by 71" piece and trim and seam it to the big piece. That way you should have enough for the longarmer.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

6. Thanks Devchdm thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly it looks like you got some bad advice at the quilt shop. Do you have extra fabric from the top where you could do a partial pieced backing? Depending on the quits design, perhaps just a strip of pieced work down the center?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post

You need to seam it. My numbers look weird. It's hard to write with the computer mouse. But make your first cut 68" by WOF. Then take the remaining yard of fabric, split it down the middle to give you two pieces that are 21" by 36". Seam them together to get a 21" by 71" piece and trim and seam it to the big piece. That way you should have enough for the longarmer.
    Wow! Great job with this calculation.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MZQuiltz View Post
    Sadly it looks like you got some bad advice at the quilt shop. Do you have extra fabric from the top where you could do a partial pieced backing? Depending on the quits design, perhaps just a strip of pieced work down the center?
    I agree with MZQuilts, make a beautiful strip to put down the middle of the back of the quils. If you ever watch Quilt in a Day Eleanor Burns, her assistant Sue Bouchard always uses up the leftovers to put on the back of the quilt, and it looks great every time. Don't stress over this, it will be great.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kandee View Post
    I am sending it to a longarmer to be quilted. I see what you mean about cutting it in half but that doesn't leave 4" on either side, which is what I have read most longarmers want due to shrinkage. There would be more than plenty in length but the width would be short. Maybe I need to make the top narrower? Don't want to do that unless absolutely necessary.
    Better check with your longarmer. Mine likes six inches extra all around.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post

This is how I usually do mine, too. 3 yards is plenty for a jelly roll quilt.