Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2nd Opinion Please. Leave or redo?

I just made this quilt top for a friend who had a baby beginning of this month. See the pattern I used to make it. I think I used the wrong scraps though because mine is not as clear and cute. I realized after the 1st few strips that some of my fabric choices were terrible so I didn't use anymore. Now I debate, do I leave it as is and just finish it up or do I take out the fabric that is bugging me the most? (particularly that light brown square in the R eye, but there are several more that I very much dislike - lol) - I'm almost tempted to scrap the whole project and make an entirely new quilt. We really are our own worst critics.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0388.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	126522Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	126523

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2nd Opinion Please. Leave or redo?

I agree with taking out the square in the R eye, but I think the rest looks good! I think when you put the mouth on it will make a big difference also.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, the light brown square is distracting. Can you replace it with the same kind of square that is in the other eye? Other than that, I don't see any other issues. It's very cute! I think once you get that red border on, you will love it. You are right, we are our own worst critics. Just don't point out anything you dislike about it when you give it to the mom. She will love it too!

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I personally would lay your side border up along the right edge of the fabric and snap a picture.... then look at the pic. Dogs have circles around their eyes with lighter spots, so it may look okay when the border is on. Cute top!
    Last edited by Kimber4444; February 24th, 2016 at 05:54 PM.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I think it looks very close and once the mouth is on it will make a big difference. with the right eye - the original has a light triangle rather than a light square - so not sure if it's that stand out. Maybe because you're looking at them side by side? Sometimes we're our own worst critics!
    well done though!

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Oh- and as others have said, once the borders are on it will make a huge difference as well.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think that the background fabrics are a bit dark and you aren't getting as much definition between them and the head of the dog as the pattern image shows. See what you think with the border laid out with the quilt, and if that helps draw it out.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I enlarged the pics to see better. I think there's a couple blocks in that eye that are not the correct colors. It appears that the dark block to the left of the light brown should have been a half square triangle. I only see it as one solid color. That light brown square next to it should be your dark fabric that you used.

I think it's really cute and probably won't be noticed after your borders are attached if you decide to leave it alone.
    Last edited by Sharyn J; February 24th, 2016 at 06:46 PM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I think it looks adorable. We quilters always see every little thing with a critical eye in our own work. If it were me I'd be happy with it. If it bothers you then by all means do it over.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think two of your squares are off and should be replaced to get the effect you are looking for. That would be the center tan one and the square right above it next to the hst. It's a very cute pattern though. Your layout as is, is okay but could be improved on if you are up to a partial deconstruction. Otherwise you could gift it like it is and I think your friend would still be happy with it.